Hello all

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello all

Postby shaaark99 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 4:31 pm

Hi folks, just stopping by to introduce myself

So, my name's Martin, and I'm 48, and I split my time between the UK and Berlin. Console-wise I am PS4 only these days

Co-op play is mostly fps , and these days I’m primarily playing Destiny 2. I’m up to 305 on all three chars now, though I prefer playing my hunter I’m happy to play whatever is needed.

I alsoI understand you have an active CoD contingent that I'd be happy to get involved with (I'm a RAGer with an affection for shotguns)

Work-wise I'm an infrastructure architect, and play mostly on the days when I'm in the UK for work Mon/Tue/Wed.

I lean more towards the PvP side of things, but I like decent (or terrible) humour and company in PvE as well, and am quite happy to follow instructions (stand here, shoot that, execute these dance moves and so on)

I am a former RL work colleague of Bbdzero and through him met dci_gene_hunt, snudge, dicco, rapidough who I hung out with a lot in D1.

Anyway, my current clan has got pretty inactive – at most usually one other person online. I pestered I think dicco about an invite thinking it was a small outfit that they’d set up just for D2 but then he pointed me here and I realised it’s somewhat less informal

So, hullo. I’m interested in joining. Feel free to hit me up in game or ask me any questions you like here.
shaaark99
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Re: Hello all

Postby Saltyballz81 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 6:48 pm

Great intro Shark, yes, there is quite a big contingent on Destiny, they play mosts nights i believe, you'll always get a game there. Quite alot on COD as well, i'm usually fighting the undead on it, whilst shouting at Oaps who CAN'T FOLLOW SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS, ahem. :oops: (They know who they are!) :lol:

Battlefield 1, Starwars and GT Sport are another few games well populated by Oaps most nights, so if any of those tickle your fancy, you'll most likely find a chat party with a few people at least in them. :wink:

Welcome and enjoy your stay mate. :Y:
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby Gazman86 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 7:45 pm

Great intro, when did you start gaming and on what platform?
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby kaycee2011 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:24 pm

Great intro Shaaark - welcome!
Theres quite a big Destiny clan and a few of us who love CoD - If you return here to answer the OAPs questions & probings the next passing mod/elder will add you into the community, then more of the forum will open up and you'll be able to join OAP clans in games.
Do you play Zombies? We're currently advertising for a new instructor who issues clear instructions.
Last one was incoherent....
kaycee2011
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Geriatric44 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:31 pm

Welcome! and a great intro. I was in Berlin in the late 60s early 70s a few times whilst in the Army. I spent a while guarding Hess in Spandau I say guarding but all the time I was there he was in Hospital. Must be some changes there now since the wall came down. It's about the only place I would like to visit again I had a great time there.
Anyway enjoy your stay here and hope to see you on COD WW2 sometime, I'm not a great Destiny player.
Auf wiedersehen
peace and love
Tel
Geriatric44
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby solo-nite » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 8:59 am

Welcome shaaark, great intro there. There is a big Destiny 2 clan, sounds like you know some of the guys already.

There are quite a few Cod players about (including myself).

Is there any other games you play? You mention FPS PvP do you play Star Wars Battlefront 2 at all, as we got a good crowd playing that at moment.
solo-nite
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 12:57 pm

Ey up dude.. Nice to meet you :)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby shaaark99 » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 12:59 pm

Hi folks! Thanks for the lovely welcome!

Gazman86 wrote:Great intro, when did you start gaming and on what platform?

Dawn of time! Atari 2600 when I was about 9, though gaming became a large part of my life around 21 when I took up a job as a computer game designer (NES, SNES, Gameboy, Lynx and Megadrive)

Used to play a lot more adventure/RPG stuff, my first being Bard's Tale on the C64, but later on especially the Baldur's Gate games. My first Multiplayer FPS would have been Modern Warfare II (Xbox 360 back then)

kaycee2011 wrote:Do you play Zombies?

I do, but as an enthusiastic amateur :D More the shouted at than shouting type.

Geriatric44 wrote:It's about the only place I would like to visit again I had a great time there.

It is my favourite city in the world, by a clear margin. I am constantly happily surprised I get to spend live here.

solo-nite wrote:Is there any other games you play?"

So I did play SW:Battlefront the first time around. Haven't picked up 2 yet but I enjoyed the first a lot and will do if there are folks to play with.

If folks are enjoying the new CoD I'll pick it up as well - my favourite cod ever was BLOPSII so I have reasonably high hopes for this one
shaaark99
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby solo-nite » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 1:17 pm

Ah a Commodore 64 man, just like me. I used to love the Dizzy series.

If you enjoyed the first Battlefront game you will love the second. There is a lot more depth and content added to the second game. I run our Battlefront Saturday event every Saturday and we have had up to 14 players. If you do get it let me know I'll add you to the event invite list and I am sure Salty will add you to the oap bf2 community on the ps4.

Battlefront Saturday teaser trailer

Details of Battlefront 2
solo-nite
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 1:25 pm

Welcome to OAP Shark :Y:
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 11:01 pm

Hello Shaaaark - I was in the Speccie gang in the playground, all hail colour clash!
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 11:39 pm

shaaark99 wrote:
Dawn of time! Atari 2600 when I was about 9, though gaming became a large part of my life around 21 when I took up a job as a computer game designer (NES, SNES, Gameboy, Lynx and Megadrive)

Welcome Martin!

Got to love the old Atari but what caught my eye there was the game designer comment! Did you work on anything we may have heard of? (and i'm likely still playing).

:)
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby shaaark99 » Thu 07 Dec 2017, 11:24 pm

solo-nite wrote: Saturday event every Saturday and we have had up to 14 players. If you do get it let me know I'll add you to the event invite list and I am sure Salty will add you to the oap bf2 community on the ps4.

That looks great, but I'm in Berlin on the weekend and the PS4 is in Yorkshire! I will look for folks weekdays though
shaaark99
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby shaaark99 » Thu 07 Dec 2017, 11:32 pm

Mulletino wrote:
Got to love the old Atari but what caught my eye there was the game designer comment! Did you work on anything we may have heard of? (and i'm likely still playing).

:)

Oh, it was a LONG time ago - i worked for a primarily port house that did work on the Atari and Amiga ports of various Spectrum Holobyte and microprose simulators, a lot of work on licensed properties (wheel of fortune, jeopardy and american gladiators) to pay the bills, and some original properties - last game I worked on there was an rpg called Daemonsgate.

Most folks haven't heard of the studio or the games, but i did run into some dealers at a car boot a while back who had, and being treated like a small time celebrity was super odd.

I did get to meet Toshiro Mifune at a CES one time though. While I was carrying a sword and he was in a sharp suit. That was nice.
shaaark99
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby shaaark99 » Thu 07 Dec 2017, 11:33 pm

roguetrooper wrote:Ey up dude.. Nice to meet you :)

same! heh. chat to you Tuesday most likely
shaaark99
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions