[BC'd] Hello - I would like to join

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: wow so many repsonses already

Postby martok » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 11:23 am

pjs wrote:...and I still spell like a Brit.

pjs wrote:I am a 40 year old brit living in the US, I miss the sense of humor from the old country.

I think we can forgive you the odd slip. ;)

pjs wrote:I hail from Manchester, went to college in Hull, then lived in Croxley Green in Watford before moving to Rochester NY, and currently in Middletown Delaware.

I went to university in Manchester - great place, as ong as you avoid some parts (Moss Side, Rusholme etc). You lived in Croxley Green then? Just up the road from me in Rickmansworth! Not that Croxley is too bad a place but I'm sure you prefer it over in Delaware! :lol:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue 19 Sep 2006, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
martok
Bed Pan Brandisher

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 11:27 am

Martok wrote:

pjs wrote:I am a 40 year old brit living in the US, I miss the sense of humor from the old country.

pjs wrote:I hail from Manchester, went to college in Hull, then lived in Croxley Green in Watford before moving to Rochester NY, and currently in Middletown Delaware.

I went to university in Manchester - great place, aslong as you avoid some parts (Moss Side, Rusholme etc). You lived in Croxley Green then? Just up the road from me in Rickmansworth! Not that Croxley is too bad a place but I'm sure you prefer it over in Delaware! :lol:

I think we can forgive you too Martok.....
Not watching any football since whenever.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Boba UK » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 11:34 am

Martok wrote:

Martok is one of our many pedants as you have just found out. He will now be checking all your posts for any signs of American spellings, so your quote may come back to haunt you :wink:

My brother lives in Croxley Green. I can't think of anything to say about the place though. It's that sort of place. :roll:

Watford, on the other hand, has a giant hornet outside McDonalds. Now that's a talking point!
Boba UK
Champion Werthers Sucker

Awards Cabinet

Postby martok » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 11:38 am

Sav wrote:I think we can forgive you too Martok.....

:lol:

That's the duff space bar on my laptop again. :roll:

/whacks keyboard very hard

Damn,IthinkImayhavemadeitworse...
martok
Bed Pan Brandisher

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mane » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 4:50 pm

Thinking about early computers reminds me that I must see if the Atari museum want that IBM-compatible PC3 that I still have lion around - it has a powerhouse of a 8088 processor.
But Tandy - woah man, that's cool... 8)
Which model? colour or monochrome?

I'm in Bovingdon not too far from Croxley Green either. I am sure I remember a few other OAPs have US PS2s registered as 'US forces abroad' :lol: but sadly I'm not quite geeky enough to be a part of their foreign servered gang...
Mane
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby HastaLaVista » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 4:52 pm

Martok wrote:I went to university in Manchester - great place, as ong as you avoid some parts (Moss Side, Rusholme etc). :lol:

8O

I went to UMIST, although of course it's been amalgamated with Manc Uni again now. I lived on the outskirts of Rusholme & Victoria Park. Loved it. But it was well over 20 years ago :oops: .
HastaLaVista
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby martok » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 5:00 pm

HastaLaVista wrote:8O

I went to UMIST, although of course it's been amalgamated with Manc Uni again now. I lived on the outskirts of Rusholme & Victoria Park. Loved it. But it was well over 20 years ago :oops: .

UMIST is where I went too, although after your time ('86 - '89 for me) followed by a year at Manchester Uni. I lived in Oak Park halls of residence in Fallowfield and then in Withington. I guess you remember the "egg and toast rack" building then?

The reference to the dodgy areas if from more recent times, they were fine when I was there too. Although I did remember the off licence in Rusholme was very different from others I had been in - you walked into a perspex corrider, pointed to whatever alcohol you required and it was passed to you through a slot in the perspex!!
martok
Bed Pan Brandisher

Awards Cabinet

Postby Jonah » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 5:03 pm

Ahhh Rusholme.

The Curry Mile!! :D
Jonah
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 6:33 pm

See, I thought about going to Manchester uni...but I decided to get a proper job instead ;)

Nice to meet you pjs!!

BTW, that rancid stink that has you recoiling in horror is Martoks deodorant...We quickly found after he joined OAP that his natural odour can actuall kill at 50 yards...reet useful for clearing the post office on pension day :)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Jonah » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 6:35 pm

Oops, forgot to say hello! :)

HELLO! :D
Jonah
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 6:56 pm

hello dood. I too hail originally from manchester and I too went to college in Hull! judging by our ages, i'm a wee nipper at 38 and you 40 we must have been there at the same time!
so were you a proper hull uni, or a a college/poly oik like me... I graduated in 1990...

tell me more about hull where you were at the time, did you ever go to the piper club on a sunday morning (wink wink) did you ever attend a zooie? Go to spiders, the adelphi? eat a Prima garlic bread? cott road, fight with the loorkels in the old town?... where were you housed? did you spot a house martin (my then g/f now missus lived next door to paul heaton on grafton street).

I feel I know you already.
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Tue 19 Sep 2006, 7:05 pm

Martok wrote: I lived in Oak Park halls of residence in Fallowfield and then in Withington. I guess you remember the "egg and toast rack" building then?

my sister was in oak park around thee time you were there tok, she used to work in the jabberwocky accross the road. I'll ask her if she ever spotted someone with a star trek t-shirt and a dime bar spray-mounted to his forehead walking round at the time.
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Hull - a dim and distant memory

Postby Peejers » Wed 20 Sep 2006, 12:29 am

Being asked questions about Hull, has got me racking my brains, I was in Hull from 1985 to 1991. Went to Uni, lived in Halls of Residence, Park Ave, Vermin sorry Vermont St, to name a few. More of a pub drinker than a clubber, particularly on Beverly Rd. I do vaguely remember my Stag night in the Whalebone, lots of lurrcals there

Croxley Green was OK, not much going on. Only just moved to Delaware, not much really going on here either. Just moving to a new job and finding a house, we are just beginning to explore around here..
Peejers
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Wed 20 Sep 2006, 8:02 am

sounds like yo have a really friendly best man. 'OK phil... for your stag night we've decided to avoid all of the places full of women and partying and we're gonna head off down the dock pubs, see if we can get the holy bejeezus kicked out of us.'.

I used to work on the hull uni bar around that time, it is likely I would have pulled your purple nasty at some point.

The zooie was a monthly themed pub crawl that used to start at the zoological, go down cott road- college- uni- crss keys-haworth, then down Bev rerd into town- mainbrace, stag, bull, park, st johns... etc...etc.. down to the designated club. generally dressed in your bed sheet adapted to whatever the fancy dress theme was- toga- ghost for halloween, shepherd for xmas, or just a sheet. them was the days.

If you ever saw a highly conspicuous 6 ft 7 ginger bloke running round in a sheet- then I was the dwarf running next to him.
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Wed 20 Sep 2006, 8:50 am

Well gordon bennet! My bro went to Hull Uni, to do some poncy degree which involved one hours of lectures a week. He lived above a leccy shop which got burgled a lot. Sounds like a great place! Although one of my UK mates was also from Hull, she is an absolute looney, but also a scientist which is scary!

Anyhoo, welcome to the abode we call home. I see peeps have started with the prodding and stuff. So i'll leave them to it as I have my folks over from England at the mo so don't have too much time online (got to go eat in a mo!).

You'll like the english humour around here, it confuses the euro members! ;)
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions