[BC'd] smudger_07 signing in...hopefully!!!

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Kiplin » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 7:32 pm

we do like to know which one of our many elderly wrinkled fingers stretching far out into the interweb tickled your thingy dude... opps... kippers talk... :oops:

How did you hear about us bud? :)

:chef:
Kiplin
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 7:41 pm

jeebus, I just remembered the full chocolate smoking kit my nan used to get us at christmas, pipe, fags, lighter, everything! never did me any harm. tch, kids these days eh.

every birthday and christmas I always used to get my grandad a packet of fags as his present (more often than not nicked from the fag counter as we lived in a pub) , them really strong ones with a picture of a sailor on the front. He always used to feign surprise as he opened them.

Anyway, he died of lung cancer. There has to be an ironic tale in there somewhere.
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Postby smudger07 » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 8:54 pm

widnesboy wrote:jeebus, I just remembered the full chocolate smoking kit my nan used to get us at christmas, pipe, fags, lighter, everything! never did me any harm. tch, kids these days eh.

every birthday and christmas I always used to get my grandad a packet of fags as his present (more often than not nicked from the fag counter as we lived in a pub) , them really strong ones with a picture of a sailor on the front. He always used to feign surprise as he opened them.

Anyway, he died of lung cancer. There has to be an ironic tale in there somewhere.

Were these the ones???

PS please to meet you too :lol:
smudger07
Mumbler Extrordinaire

Awards Cabinet

Postby smudger07 » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 9:05 pm

Kiplin wrote:we do like to know which one of our many elderly wrinkled fingers stretching far out into the interweb tickled your thingy dude... opps... kippers talk... :oops:

How did you hear about us bud? :)

I heard about this 'home' from the Playstation forum. I've been looking to join a group, but, found most of them to be jumped up little scallywags. Then there was a post for mature gamers, and some one recommened this site, with others. This one was the best by far <wipes nose of the brown stuff>, just my sense of humour and more of a community spirit.

:D :D :D
smudger07
Mumbler Extrordinaire

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 12:07 am

All us normal people ate the papers off the chocolate cigarettes. :)

Good old 70s, before smoking was dangerous - We used to sit in the lounge, us kids playing Atari, the adults all talking and smoking. The kid who wasn't playing at the time would get to roll the cigarettes sometimes with the "rolling machine". Parents repainting the ceiling every couple of years due to the artex going off colour! Happy days!

:D
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby zeroflip » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 8:58 am

The Manor near Redbourne?!?!?! We lived IN the Manor near Redbourne!! That is if you mean Rothampstead Manor??? My husband did his postgrad thing at the crop research place and we lived there for a bit before renting a tiny shoebox that cost us £1,000 a month or something ridiculous like that. Ooohh its a small world!

Also - artex - had forgotten about that along with those Navy Cut ciggies. I love this forum!!! :D :D :D :D
Fee
zeroflip
Bingo Freak

Awards Cabinet

Postby Kiplin » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 9:09 am

Mulletino wrote:All us normal people ate the papers off the chocolate cigarettes. :)

Good old 70s, before smoking was dangerous - We used to sit in the lounge, us kids playing Atari, the adults all talking and smoking. The kid who wasn't playing at the time would get to roll the cigarettes sometimes with the "rolling machine". Parents repainting the ceiling every couple of years due to the artex going off colour! Happy days!

:D

Long car journeys in the winter with all the windows wound up, the radio going in and out of tuning and the air so thick with fag smoke you could cut a hole in it..

..and they wondered why I got 'car sick',

...so they bought me some pink tablets which tasted like strawberry chalk, which they called 'car sickness tablets', which I became addicted to, and which, I guess much to my parents annoyance, I needed before going even 5 mins to the next village.. :lol:

Kiplin
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby zeroflip » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 9:15 am

Ahhh yes those were the days. They used to take me on similar car journey to my grans house every weekend. Once there my gran insisted that everyone watch her weekly and much anticipated episode of Dallas. And my grandad used to get really upset if someone spoke when the weather forecast was on as he worked on the farm and it was HIGHLY important he knew what the weather was going to be like the next day :? Then me and my cousin would sit in back of car as they drove to local village pub. I loved that pub. We never got inside. We had to wait in the car outside but it was great cos every so often one of them would come out and chuck a couple of bags of Salt n Shake through the window :D :D :D :D Man I love salt n shake. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fee
zeroflip
Bingo Freak

Awards Cabinet

Postby DJUnsu » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 9:19 am

Kiplin wrote:...so they bought me some pink tablets which tasted like strawberry chalk, which they called 'car sickness tablets', which I became addicted to, and which, I guess much to my parents annoyance, I needed before going even 5 mins to the next village.. :lol:

I used to have those! Weren't they called "Joy Rides"??

Oh, and welcome Smudger :D
DJUnsu
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby Kiplin » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 9:21 am

hehe, yep!

Child friendly was an anathama back then..

,,gastro pubs.. WTF's that!

Rain
Sat in the car, my twin sister had lemonade and salt N Vinegar, I had coke and Cheese and onion.

Sun
Sat in the 'beer garden'

..actually, my gran used to drink G&T, and she'd let me try the tonic, I liked it, and one day asked my dad for it in the working mens, he looked at me, withered, and mumbled.."do you have to drink that..", I asked "why?", he sighed and said "coz it's a womens drink"..

..I insisted, it was the dresses and high heels which really got them down.. :lol:
Kiplin
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby smudger07 » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 11:34 am

zeroflip wrote: :D :D :D :D Man I love salt n shake. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fee

And always with a bottle of Coke, in the little glass bottle.

But if they didn't have them then it was always a packet of Golden Wonder.
Again you had to be careful because salt 'n' vinegar were in a blue packet and cheese and onion in a green packet, Walkers were the opposite.

Then there was space raiders, nik-naks, ringos, Discos..MMMmmmm
smudger07
Mumbler Extrordinaire

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 12:25 pm

...Skydivers, Football Crazys, Superstars, Rancheros, Potato Puffs.... don't get me started on old crisps/sweets, it never ends. ;)

Ah car journeys, I hated them. Stuck in our Daimler Double Six going to my nan's with the windows also up and the adults smoking. The combination of smoke and sun on leather seats creating a the feeling of the old sick valve opening. Then we had vans so us kids had to sit in the bag with no seats etc facing sideways just to really reinforce the sickness. Plus we'd normally be sharing it with a load of stainless steel so the smell of that mingled with the smoke. The car us kids liked best was when we had an ex-army landrover with the canvas back because the cabin was seperate so we didnt get smoked. We couldn't touch the canvas if it was raining though otherwise the water got in. Seatbelts? didn't need them.
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby smudger07 » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 4:23 pm

Mulletino wrote:...Skydivers, Football Crazys, Superstars, Rancheros, Potato Puffs.... don't get me started on old crisps/sweets, it never ends. ;)

Ah car journeys, I hated them. Stuck in our Daimler Double Six going to my nan's with the windows also up and the adults smoking. The combination of smoke and sun on leather seats creating a the feeling of the old sick valve opening. Then we had vans so us kids had to sit in the bag with no seats etc facing sideways just to really reinforce the sickness. Plus we'd normally be sharing it with a load of stainless steel so the smell of that mingled with the smoke. The car us kids liked best was when we had an ex-army landrover with the canvas back because the cabin was seperate so we didnt get smoked. We couldn't touch the canvas if it was raining though otherwise the water got in. Seatbelts? didn't need them.

Maybe you should have had the name of 'Kipper' insead of Mulletino. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must have been lucky, we had a Hillman Imp, and the added bonus was that they had a opening side light, near the side mirror (only had one mirror on the outside then).
we would drive down the road leaving a trail of smoke behind like the Batmobile.
smudger07
Mumbler Extrordinaire

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 5:00 pm

smudger07 wrote:To be honest I actually brought the N64 after my PS3, as I have always wanted one but brought a PS1. With the second hand value now it is excellent value for money, so I will see if I can obtain a copy of Legend. Thank you for your recommendation. But I do have a copy of Mario Golf.

Blimey, you're late to the party! Best home multi player gaming to be had is on the N64. Mario Golf is a bit dull TBH. Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are excellent though.

zeroflip wrote:DaddyR - Hatfield - I used to go for meetings with work there alot and also to The Galleria cinema. And did they not film a load of films there - I remember when they were filiming Band of Brothers, you could see the set as you drove past. Or have I just made that up??!!!?

They filmed Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan (and other stuff?) on the old BAe site opposite the Galleria. They then pulled down the BAe site, built a load of houses and then I bought one and now live there. It's very nice to be able to walk to the cinema - it's been a long time since I've been able to do that. And did you ever see John Motson in Redborne? He lives near by and drinks in a few of the pubs once in a while.

Sav wrote:stuff

'ckoff :D
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby smudger07 » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 8:58 pm

zeroflip wrote:The Manor near Redbourne?!?!?! We lived IN the Manor near Redbourne!! That is if you mean Rothampstead Manor??? My husband did his postgrad thing at the crop research place and we lived there for a bit before renting a tiny shoebox that cost us £1,000 a month or something ridiculous like that. Ooohh its a small world!

Also - artex - had forgotten about that along with those Navy Cut ciggies. I love this forum!!! :D :D :D :D
Fee

Yeah that's it. The In-Laws still live and have done for well over thirty odd years.

Very Very small world
smudger07
Mumbler Extrordinaire

Awards Cabinet

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions