[BC'd] Introductions: Tyza1971

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

[BC'd] Introductions: Tyza1971

Postby tyza1971 » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 11:55 am

Hello to one and all, my name is Tyrone and I'm 37, I'm not sure if that counts as a ROAP (Really Old Age Playstationer) !! I've been into gaming since the days of the Commodore VIC20 (nobody scratch their heads while it loads 2kb from the tape for an hour for fear of it crashing at the last minute), abandoned that for an Atari 2600 (Now THAT's what I called gaming, graphics were pants but the game play...I'm coming over all emotional!) Spectrum 128+2 (on board tape deck, the height of sophistication back in the day) PC Gaming such as Doom, Playstation with games such as Quake, GT 1 & 2, G-Police etc, Then I moved up in the world and invested in a Darth's Toaster edition of the PS2 (with GT3 as part of the pack) Brought tons of games for that GT3,4, MGS2, Socom, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare, Fifa, GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, to name but only a few. I then Brought a Nintendo Wii (do we mention the "N" (Nintendo) word in here?) Officially it was "for my little girl and wife to play" Yeah right! although to be fair they play on it far more than me now, as Mario everything is not really my thing. I then Brought a PSP as a prologue to the big purchase of the PS3 which I got only a few weeks ago now. So far the games I've brought for this dream of a console are: COD4, GT5 Prologue, Resistance Fall of Man, Soul Caliber 4, GTA 4, Metal Gear 4, Race Driver GRID. I've also just purchased the PS Eye for gaming chat, but don't yet have the nerve to face 12 year olds shooting me in the back in COD4! Although I have been on line with GRID in my Honda Civic (well it felt like a Honda Civic in the slow lane on the Motorway) and Shot and Blown up Kiddies in GTA4.
I became aware of OAPS.org through the official Playstation Forums while finding out how to set up the camera thingy (you need to know a bit about the network settings on your firewall to sort that one out, but it works now and is nice) I don't currently know many gamers for the online side of the PS3 and truly hope I can find refuge in the Bowling Club as it sounds like a place suitable for me and my average skills (for average read poor) I've already got the little White Hat, White Windcheater, Grey Flannels and Brown Shoes so I should blend in nicely!
At the moment my favourite online game is GRID, although I think I would really like COD4, I'm still unsure about MGS4 as it's a bit to softly softly and I prefer FPS type games.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them as completely as possible.
I hope I can look forward to being overtaken or shot by you all soon.
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Letchferrit » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 2:23 pm

Welcome to the Old Folks Home Tyrone.

At 37 you are a mere whippersnapper compared to some of our residents but the less said about the over 40's the less shouting we'll have to do to getthem to understand. :wink:

Anyhoo, youre in the right place for some friendly online action and reading through the games youve listed youll have no trouble finding people here to shoot at/take cover from/crash into (delete as applicable).

So, take a seat, if you can find a dry one, its a bonus. Im sure it wont be long before our expert in the classics (of games), Mulletino makes an appearance and rifles through your retro collection. We like to prod perspective members, mainly to see if theyre going to fit in ok, but also to see how squidgy they are! 8O

Nice to meet you and hopefully see you online soon.
Letchferrit
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby MarvinTheMartian » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 2:46 pm

Welcome, when I first saw your forum ID I immediately thought of Tizer, one of the best soft drinks ever. They've ruined it now though with the shitty fruit juice version. Bring back the artificial additives I say !!
MarvinTheMartian
Bingo Freak

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 3:02 pm

Hi Chaps, thanks for making me feel welcome, I'd be interested to hear how old the oldest member is, personally I don't have many hobbies besides the internet and video gaming. When I finally retire I plan on spending most of my retirement finishing all the games I've started and never had the time to finish (think Tom Hanks in Cast Away delivering his parcel and you get the picture) I'd quite forgotten how artificial Tizer used to taste, no wonder I was Hyper as a kid, can you imagine mixing Tizer with a child with Attention Deficit Disorder now (light touchpaper and take cover!!!) I'd be more than happy to be probed (oo'er!) about my back catalogue of games, unfortunately my memory isn't what it used to be though! (I have to keep a list of my PS3 games as a note on my mobile wireless phoney mejig) tragic I know. I do have quite a lot of the old Activision Games from the Atari days for my PSP and PS2 as well as a few Atari Classics on PS2 as well - I actually still have the old Atari 2600 but I think the sockets on my telly would not really fit (round into square does not work, no matter how hard I try to force it) :(
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby Pallol » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 10:58 pm

Welcome Tyrone :)

I still have an Atari in the loft (plus a small collection of old Playstations) that gave me many hours of gaming fun. I can still hear the sound of the tank shells bouncing around the walls on Combat.

While you get comfy, give a little thought to the following questions:

Garden Shed or Loft?
Pizza or Pasta?
Gadgets or Tools?
Drunk or Sober?
Spy Hunter or Paperboy?

Which arcade game (proper in an arcade mind, none of your Console/PC versions) cost you the most in 10p pieces?

Cheers,
P
Pallol
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 6:45 am

MarvinTheMartian wrote:Welcome, when I first saw your forum ID I immediately thought of Tizer, one of the best soft drinks ever.

Me too, specifically this!

Welcome to OAPland Tyza.

You must be able to remember at least two games each from your VIC20/Atari VCS/Spectrum +2 days? I'm having a side bet with myself as to what a couple of them are, it's a win/win situation. :)
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 10:01 am

Pallol wrote:Welcome Tyrone :)

I still have an Atari in the loft (plus a small collection of old Playstations) that gave me many hours of gaming fun. I can still hear the sound of the tank shells bouncing around the walls on Combat.

While you get comfy, give a little thought to the following questions:

Garden Shed or Loft?
Pizza or Pasta?
Gadgets or Tools?
Drunk or Sober?
Spy Hunter or Paperboy?

Which arcade game (proper in an arcade mind, none of your Console/PC versions) cost you the most in 10p pieces?

Cheers,
P

Ha Ha, all of my old age gaming gear in packed away in the loft (so it does not gather too much dust) You've posed some tricky questions, the hardest being to remember all of the old specy and VIC20 games (unfortunately I didn't have the VIC20 for long as it was so bad!) I'll try to answer the questions in the order posed...

Garden Shed or Loft? - If you mean where would I like my gaming set up, that would have to be the Garden Shed, but I would need a much bigger shed with heating and power... I'm more likely in the future to be consigned to the loft with all the other gaming gear (hopefully I won't be packed in one of the boxes though ;) The Loft is warmer but directly above my daughters bedroom with access through her room to the loft hatch, so any decent home cinema explosions would be a real no no!

Pizza or Pasta? - Pizza everytime - unless trying to impress someone, then it would have to be a carbonara

Gadgets or Tools? Hmm tricky one this - let me see: "Spend money on the PS3 or a new Electric jigsaw?" I'd rather cut wood the old fashioned way and save the money for PS3 stuff (plus I'm less likely to cut my fingers off with a hand saw!)
Drunk or Sober? - Sober for work, but less so at home - my favourite poision is Southern Comfort neat. Gran Turisimo Drunk is always I good Sobriety test, If I can manage a lap time close to my normal personal best I'm doing well (or does it just mean that I'm crap sober too?)
Spy Hunter or Paperboy? - For entertainment value it's got to be Paperboy (I never get tired of seeing the paperboy get hit by the cars!)

Which arcade game (proper in an arcade mind, none of your Console/PC versions) cost you the most in 10p pieces? - Thats and Easy one - STARWARS - who can forget the wire frame death star bit with "I'm going in" Brilliant!

Finally to answer the question of Specy and VIC games, I'll try to remember:
Specy: Yia Kung Fu, Knight Rider, Chase HQ (Hey they're all coming back to me now) Miami Vice, ACE Combat, Street Hawk... OK I'm struggling to remember the rest now...
The VIC is a lot harder for me to remember as I didn't have it for more than a few months (I'd taken it back twice before giving up on it all together) The games were more colourful I remember that much, but much more basic.

Speak again soon.

Tys
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 10:23 am

Mulletino wrote:
MarvinTheMartian wrote:Welcome, when I first saw your forum ID I immediately thought of Tizer, one of the best soft drinks ever.

Me too, specifically this!

Welcome to OAPland Tyza.

You must be able to remember at least two games each from your VIC20/Atari VCS/Spectrum +2 days? I'm having a side bet with myself as to what a couple of them are, it's a win/win situation. :)

Hi and thanks for the video! How could I forget the Tizer Advert, it was how I originally gained the Tyza nickname, although no particular spelling was associated with it back then it's evolved as a regular online tag!

I've accidently and partly answered your question in the wrong message, but to cover it off properly:
VIC 20 - Nope still having a bit of a blank on that one for reasons as previously mentioned (namely being a forgetful and dodery old duffer!) and not having the thing for much above 5 minutes.
Spec 128+2 (with deluxe tape drive!) I never got as far as buying many good games as I was a bit skint back then, but I do remember playing Knight Rider and Street Hawk and Miami Vice and Chase HQ and ACE Combat (at least I think it was ACE Combat, I'm combat fatigued perhaps?) I had a few platform games which came as part of bundled packs and who can forget the music from Nodes of Yasod? forever etched into my subconcious memory, I also brought a game called Blood by some French studio which was very odd, but had music by Jean Michel Jarre so not all bad!
The Atari 2600 is much easier to remember: Frostbite (which I had cat like reflexes on and could play solidly working through the many levels for about 3 to 4 hours at a time) I played it recently on the PS2 and was useless! Riveraid, which I was quite good at, Keystone Kapers which always frustrated me but not as much as Hero or Pitfall II did, Grrr. I had Space Invaders, Pacman (although my mum played that more than me and shredded 2 controllers in the process!) Demon Attack which rocked, Euduro which makes GT5 look reasonably good, but Enduro has more weather effects! Battlezone and Robot Tank, I prefered Robot Tank as it was more varied. Decatholon (I've still got the wrist strength to prove it, although playing this on the PS2/3 controllers is a real no no) To be honest I always prefered Activision Games, even now they publish some great games (COD4 springs to mind) - I've just finished that on the easiest level, I'm so proud!)

I wished I could remember some of those VIC20 games though... If they come back to me I'll post them up and let you know!
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 10:50 am

That'll do, let him in. 8) :wink:
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 11:15 am

As my learned friend has already said, your name reminds of of Tizer which always leads me on to thinking about powdered orange drinks such as 'Birds Apeel' or 'Rise and Shine'

Both of which would kick the shit out of Sunny D

Mmmm..tangy

Nice to meet you dude!
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 12:11 pm

roguetrooper wrote:As my learned friend has already said, your name reminds of of Tizer which always leads me on to thinking about powdered orange drinks such as 'Birds Apeel' or 'Rise and Shine'

Both of which would kick the shit out of Sunny D

Mmmm..tangy

Nice to meet you dude!

Good to meet you too Roguetrooper, I've forgotten about that powdered stuff you used to be able to buy to make up a pint of E filled goodness, you're right, it would give Sunny D a run for it's money any day, no wonder back then we used to play outside in summer until about 10-11pm, it probably took that long to run all the sugar and additives off!!

I forgot to mention earlier, my greatest memory of Tizer is Sunday morning trips to the village shop with a £5 from my sister in hand to buy sweets (and we're going back to the 80's when a £5 was about equivelent to £15 today) I used to get home with a carrier bag full of sweets and a bottle of Tizer in hand (or Cream Soda if I was mixing my drinks!) We also got the Soda Stream version of Tizer, but it tasted vile in comparrison to the real thing! I can remember the Dandilion and Burdock flavour mix as well but seriously who drinks that stuff, you can still by bottles of Dandilion and Burdock today (presumably so us older folk can reminice...)

I've been racking my feeble old mind to remember the Vic20 games, and even went to have a look at Google, STILL none of the games names jump off the page at me, the only one I vaguely remember is Lode Runner (although I may of had that on the Specy!)
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby Pallol » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 12:58 pm

tyza1971 wrote:STARWARS

Great answer, that takes me right back that does :D

tyza1971 wrote:VIC20

I always remember having to avoid treading on the 'Sound/Colour' module that was half way along the TV cable, break that and oddly enough - no sound or colour any more.
Pallol
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 2:14 pm

Pallol wrote:
tyza1971 wrote:STARWARS

Great answer, that takes me right back that does :D

tyza1971 wrote:VIC20

I always remember having to avoid treading on the 'Sound/Colour' module that was half way along the TV cable, break that and oddly enough - no sound or colour any more.

It's funny you should mention that, I think that is what went wrong with mine (x2) :( On the bright side, i was better off with the Atari and Specy anyway! I remembered selling the idea of the VIC20 to my mum and dad along the lines of "It's educational, we use Commodores at school" They of course fell for it hook line and sinker!!! :)

Arcade games I also spend way too much on included RADMOBILE, that was much more than 10p a time though, and I liked the one which was played on a flat table with holographic type characters which had a time travel theme (I can't remember the name of the game, but I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks for me) I wasn't very good at it and hadn't got a clue what I was suposed to do but it just looked so cool ! (Come on sony get yer finger out and come out with a game like that!)
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Home Bowling Club?

Postby tyza1971 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 3:59 pm

Just going a little off topic here, but is anyone else curious what "Home" will be like and what it will facilitate? I was wondering if for instance whether the Bowling Club members would all wear regulation Bowling attire, but with perhaps different colour caps for the different Chum groups or Clans? I know from looking on the interweb that Home is going to have a bowling alley, perhaps it's not too much to ask if they will also have a Bowling Green. And furniture wise will it be possible to have comfortable chairs with that nice wipe clean fabric? or a nice Rocking chair? If you have an appartment will there be lifts as my legs can sometimes give me trouble in winter...I want an appartment close to the shops or bus stop if thats possible.
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sydark » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 5:06 pm

tyza1971 wrote: and I liked the one which was played on a flat table with holographic type characters which had a time travel theme (I can't remember the name of the game, but I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks for me) I wasn't very good at it and hadn't got a clue what I was suposed to do but it just looked so cool ! (Come on sony get yer finger out and come out with a game like that!)

I believe that was SEGA's Time Traveller. The main dude was a cowboy, yeah? It was cool but pants :D

C'mon, VIC-20 lovers everywhere are despairing at your lack of memory (a bit like the machine itself. lol).

My faves were Omega Race, Jelly Monsters, Jetpac and Alien Blitz :)

Gaming macht frei
Sydark
Gin Rummy Shark

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions