[BC'd] Introductions: Tyza1971

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby tyza1971 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 7:19 pm

Sydark wrote:
tyza1971 wrote: and I liked the one which was played on a flat table with holographic type characters which had a time travel theme (I can't remember the name of the game, but I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks for me) I wasn't very good at it and hadn't got a clue what I was suposed to do but it just looked so cool ! (Come on sony get yer finger out and come out with a game like that!)

I believe that was SEGA's Time Traveller. The main dude was a cowboy, yeah? It was cool but pants :D

C'mon, VIC-20 lovers everywhere are despairing at your lack of memory (a bit like the machine itself. lol).

My faves were Omega Race, Jelly Monsters, Jetpac and Alien Blitz :)

Thanks Sydark, I knew someone would remember what it was called, as soon as you mentioned the Cowboy, I was certain it was the same game, Time Traveller eh? the clue was in the name then!!

You're all tormenting me about the VIC-20 although now you mention Alien Blitz I can feel a stiring in my deepest cranial nooks and crannies! Walking home from work today thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the only games I ever got came in the pack with the machine (and were therefore returned with said faulty computer, I think there were about 5 or 7 games in the pack, a veritable feast by today's standards!
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby RetiredUser2461 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 8:18 pm

You can tell it's tizer when your' eyes are shut!!

That's the jingle i remember , hello Tiza nice to meet you.
RetiredUser2461
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sydark » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 9:07 pm

tyza1971 wrote:
Sydark wrote:
tyza1971 wrote: and I liked the one which was played on a flat table with holographic type characters which had a time travel theme (I can't remember the name of the game, but I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks for me) I wasn't very good at it and hadn't got a clue what I was suposed to do but it just looked so cool ! (Come on sony get yer finger out and come out with a game like that!)

I believe that was SEGA's Time Traveller. The main dude was a cowboy, yeah? It was cool but pants :D

C'mon, VIC-20 lovers everywhere are despairing at your lack of memory (a bit like the machine itself. lol).

Thanks Sydark, I knew someone would remember what it was called, as soon as you mentioned the Cowboy, I was certain it was the same game, Time Traveller eh? the clue was in the name then!!

You're all tormenting me about the VIC-20 although now you mention Alien Blitz I can feel a stiring in my deepest cranial nooks and crannies! Walking home from work today thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the only games I ever got came in the pack with the machine (and were therefore returned with said faulty computer, I think there were about 5 or 7 games in the pack, a veritable feast by today's standards!

Alien Blitz was a Space Invaders rip-off. Jelly Monsters was PacMan. Not sure if that helps :) I think most machines were shipped with Blitz (biplane trundles across the top of the screen above skyscrapers and you have to drop a bomb from said plane to smush the buildings so you can land. Did anyone ever do it??)

Uh. Sorry.

Oh yeah, Gorf rocked too! ;)

Oh, and who can forget Shadowfax. OK, ok, I'll shutup now!

Gaming macht frei
Sydark
Gin Rummy Shark

Awards Cabinet

Postby fshdave » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 9:21 pm

For all those Spectrum fans there's a great site http://www.zxspectrum.net/ where you can play some of your old favourites. Just been having a blast at "tanks". Thought it was great at the time. How things change!
fshdave
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 12:09 am

tyza1971 wrote:I remembered selling the idea of the VIC20 to my mum and dad along the lines of "It's educational, we use Commodores at school" They of course fell for it hook line and sinker!!! :)

It's time for its outing again!

Hey Hey 16K!

(every time I listen to it I get all fuzzy)

;)
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 8:36 am

Sydark wrote:
tyza1971 wrote:
Sydark wrote:

Alien Blitz was a Space Invaders rip-off. Jelly Monsters was PacMan. Not sure if that helps :) I think most machines were shipped with Blitz (biplane trundles across the top of the screen above skyscrapers and you have to drop a bomb from said plane to smush the buildings so you can land. Did anyone ever do it??)

Uh. Sorry.

Oh yeah, Gorf rocked too! ;)

Oh, and who can forget Shadowfax. OK, ok, I'll shutup now!

BLITZ!!! Of course! How could I forget that particular game, and no I never managed to finish that one either, it was impossibly hard if I remember correctly, it seems a million miles away from the Death from Above mission in COD4 (that for me was the stand out mission, and it's only in Black and White!!!) I don't think I ever manged to get Jelly Monsters to load up, it was such a frustrating experience in the days of tape loading, moving to Cartridges with the Atari was a relelation for me!
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 8:46 am

battie2 wrote:You can tell it's tizer when your' eyes are shut!!

That's the jingle i remember , hello Tiza nice to meet you.

Good to meet you too!

I vaguely remember the eyes are shut jingo, did it not finish with a more pronounced "SHUT" as in: "when your eyes are SHUT" ?
I remember the T I I Z E R Jingo more from the 80's Although I only found out recently that this particular drink was also created in Scotland, I of course remember Iron Bru as being very Scottish, as my mum is originally from near Glasgow and we visited family up there every year. They drink Iron Bru like us "Southern Softies" drink Coke, It has a very distinct taste to it a bit like Iron Filings - They always said it was "Made from Girders" and I suspect this was not just a marketing gimmick! it actually had a Rusty taste to it (maybe that was just psychological?)
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 9:11 am

Mulletino wrote:
tyza1971 wrote:I remembered selling the idea of the VIC20 to my mum and dad along the lines of "It's educational, we use Commodores at school" They of course fell for it hook line and sinker!!! :)

It's time for its outing again!

Hey Hey 16K!

(every time I listen to it I get all fuzzy)

;)

Hi Mulletino, thanks for the Video!

I couldn't get it to load though :( Maybe I need to jiggle the leads on my tapedeck ;) ) Ha Ha Only Kidding of course, how funny is that song?!

"Brought it to help with my homework" Ha Ha exactly the line I used to persuade my Parents to buy it! In fairness I did actually use the Database feature on the Spectrum (mine didn't have the rubber keys as it was the 128+2) - Off topic: I wonder what Sir Clive Sinclair is doing these days?
I was never fortunate enough to play Elite and yes I know I missed out greatly on that as I've heard so much about it ever since. It would be good if a developer tried to recreate a modern/retro version of it, what with the current trend to bring back stuff from the past for the 80's generation. Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy were others which were great for there time - I suppose the modern equivelent to Jet Set Willy would be Iron Man?
There is something to be said for the fact that most modern games could trace their origins to the games from back then as most of the senior coders / publishers today were brought up on games of that era?
Long live Retro, but with a modern twist. I didn't spend more than I really should on a console to then play direct emulations of those games on the PS3 / PC, but I would be more than happy to play updated version for the next gen on said console. I'm slightly more nostalgic towards the Atari Games as the Graphics were so much better ;) (said as I duck and take cover from the enevitable cross fire, in a PS3 v's XBox 360 kind of way!)
I had my nephew (who also has a PS3) and niece come round to play on the PS2 with the Activision Classics Disk. We spent more time playing on that than we did on the modern PS2 games, there's a lot to be said for game play over graphics in fairness. (Style over Substance?) Maybe I should take a look at some of the old games on the emulator sites to remind me of what I'm missing...
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 9:19 am

fshdave wrote:For all those Spectrum fans there's a great site http://www.zxspectrum.net/ where you can play some of your old favourites. Just been having a blast at "tanks". Thought it was great at the time. How things change!

Thanks for the Link fshdave, when I get a sec I think I'll have to check it out to remind me of what I'm missing (or not as the case me be)

When you click on the games does it take 40 minutes to take you to the site then only once in every 6 attempts actually work? If not you are missing the complete Specy experience. I remember I would not even so much as scratch my head or break wind when the games were loading for fear of them crashing!!! (Coughing was also a real no no!)
Back with the PS3 though, I do feel a little cheated that quite a lot of the games take up so much Hard Drive Space. (MGS4 & GT5 Prologue spring to mind) am I right in saying the biggest aftermarket 2.5" drive you can fit in the PS3 is currently 320gb? I've already filled almost half of my 80gb Hard Drive and I've only had it about 3 weeks and downloaded a few demo's.
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 4:33 pm

You REALLY got to stay off the e-numbers and caffeine tyza.

Welcome, you excited puppy you.
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Postby kencanvey » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 5:33 pm

Hi Tyza welcome to OAPs.
kencanvey
Gum Gnasher

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 6:51 pm

widnesboy wrote:You REALLY got to stay off the e-numbers and caffeine tyza.

Welcome, you excited puppy you.

Ha Ha! I've been drinking too much Appel and Sunny D more appropriately! (OK it was Coffee really!)

Truth is our computer systems that we use at work have been down all day so I had plenty of internet surfing time! :D (and they pay me for it too, can't be bad!) That said, my best job ever was a a professional web surfer, when I was checking out my companies website and comparing it against the performance of our competitors! good times indeed.
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 6:53 pm

kencanvey wrote:Hi Tyza welcome to OAPs.

Cheers kencanvey, and thanks for your suggestions on the other message I put up.

Tyza
tyza1971

Awards Cabinet

Postby RobotRabbit » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 9:40 pm

And welcome too Mr T.

I thought I knew (or was related to) everyone in Norfolk but I definitely would remember meeting a Tyrone.

Mind you, since getting the court order I'm not allowed within 100 yards of youngsters like you. :D
RobotRabbit
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby The Elders » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 1:19 am

Greetings tyza1971!

We are the Metatron, an ensemble constructed purely from parts of Elders past and present using the Little Big Planet editor.

We've studdied your introduction and were moved into digging out our own bread bin to work out your application:

The Metatron on the brown bohemoth (not one of Sav's either) wrote:10 PRINT "The Metatron Bowling Club Admittance VIC-20 code"
20 LET X = "tyza1971"
30 LET Y = "OAP Material"
40 LET Z = "Bowling Club"
50 IF X = "MarkParnham" GOSUB 200
60 IF X <> Y GOSUB 100
70 IF X = Y THEN LET X = Z
80 IF X = Z THEN PRINT "Congratulations [OAP]tyza1971"
90 END
100 PRINT "Sorry, better luck next time"
110 RETURN
200 PRINT "Oooh no you don't me laddo!"
210 RETURN

Hmm, it seems to be whirring away yet doing nothing! We're not very good at this programming lark you see, that's what comes from having multiple brains and eleventeen hands. It looked so much easier on that TV show Bertha!

Oh well, we shall have to resort to traditional measures and announce the following result:

Congratulations [OAP]tyza1971 it would seem you are indeed worthy of membership into one of the PS3's most hallowed of clubs, the OAP Bowling Club! We unfortunately don't have patches like that Activision Club but we do have oodles of forums full of glorious OAP whit, wisdom and wee.

Wear the [OAP] tag with pride. Depending on which game you are playing you can either add it yourself or ask in the relevant forum for an invite to the clans. If you wish to join a team we recommend visiting the team forums as that contains info on the latest team (of our four) who are currently recruiting.

There is a box on the left called the "announce list". If you wish to be kept up to date with the latest goings on (well, big events anyway) then please chuck your email address in there. We promise it won't be used for spamming purposes unless RT gets hold of it and you haven't shown your face here for a few years.

That has tired us out now so we need to recharge our typey thinky parts, so you other new applicants, don't worry, we'll get round to you later. Just as soon as we've rested and maybe worked out how to turn this Bertha thing on..

Bertha, lovely Bertha,
Sometimes I think you're a dream!
And when we work out what you have to do,
You can always churn the goods out,
Always churn the goods out,
We can depend upon you!.......

If she's not frothing after that we give up!
The Elders
The Metatron

Awards Cabinet

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions