[BC'd] I'm old and a little confused

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby vengance101 » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 6:51 pm

Good answers (not sure i would want hitler but its a toughie alright). I am afraid you suffer from the same problem as i do, and i suspect most people do, that your job is not fulfilling you morally. Its nice to do something that makes you feel good inside but most people cant afford it or arent trained for it. I know where you are coming from there certainly, my job makes rich men richer and thats pretty much it, i am not building hospitals or schools (although i have taken part in some) and its all for a profit.

Society is a bit cruel like that, so i play games to feel better. Guess we are not alone.

NEELIX!! Ok kes is okon voyager but only lives about 10 years or seomthing doesnt she? Then you are stuck as the goofy sidekick. I'm plumping for Q, the universe is my playground and i enjoy screwing with races for fun. And if you feel moral you can do alot of good with those powers!

Vengance
vengance101
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 11:44 pm

Oooh Neelix, I hated him.

I used to spend ages on that Voyager FPS PC game trying to shoot him.
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm

vengance101 wrote:I am afraid you suffer from the same problem as i do, and i suspect most people do, that your job is not fulfilling you morally. Its nice to do something that makes you feel good inside but most people cant afford it or arent trained for it.

That's interesting. I like to think that what I do is for the greater good. I work for a consultancy that only works for the public sector, ultimately we are improving services for the general public. The downside to that is we cost a lot (not as much as the big firms mind you) in order to do what government employes should be thinking about and doing anyway. If I was really morally minded I would work in the public sector and deliver that improvement at less of a cost. The downside to that is the level of influence and opportunity to make change as a consultant is much greater than if I were in an equivalent role within the civil service. Plus the salary would be distinctly less. Although the leave and extras would be greater. I'm satisified that I made the right choice.

And hello naking.
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby vengance101 » Thu 04 Jun 2009, 2:10 pm

One of the few DaddyR, one of the few....

I mean dont get me wrong, i did two years for a firm delivering low energy green climate control (no chemicals and big compressors) for schools and public buildings (like the uber epensive new cambridge council offices that are rather nice). Trouble was that my company wasin it for the profit, the councils were usaly employing design consultants (such as the guys i am no working for), main contractors and so on, all of whom were trying to make a rich bloke richer so it diluted the feeling of doing something good. Still better than saving nestle a couple of million pounds a year reducing the waste prodcut of smarties without a single penny being passed on to the consumer, hmm felt good that day :(

And thats how it goes for the majority of us. Sad to say if you think about your work life, being a hamster in a wheel isnt that rewarding. Nice to have a thoughtful answer or two on the forums though, not all rants and stuff.

Vengance
See, who said we couldnt discuss things sensibly like grown ups?
vengance101
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby martok » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 9:47 am

*Bump*

Hello naking! :)

Are you still around? Are you still after full OAP membership?
martok
Bed Pan Brandisher

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 3:29 pm

Hello Martok.

I still visit, on occassions. Was expecting a few more questions, but it does look like the sort of place I'd like to be a member of.
naking

Awards Cabinet

Postby clarkyspeaks » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 4:16 pm

ok naking!!

1) Whats your current views on the MP's expenses?

2) Who do you think the next Prime Rib Roast....ooops I mean PM will be....explain your choice!

3) Moped or Motorbike

4) Full English or Tea and Toast

5) If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you take (bear in mingd there is no electricity on this island)

6) Who is the better soldier, Snake or Sam Fisher (MGS or Splinter Cell)

7) Favourite F1 driver... current and past

8) Bath or Shower

9) Who is your fav super hero and super villan

10) Favourite sport?

11) If you could have any car in the world what would it be

12) Whats your views on reality programs
clarkyspeaks
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 7:56 am

Hello Clarky speaks.

1) It started off amusing me. I have never been a big fan of this government, and it's obsession with making new laws for every knee-jerk reaction possible. Then, as more and more news came out, it made me angry, then sad. That our parliament, supposedly one of the greatest democracies in the world, could be so self serving, and totally ignorant of the rest of the country is beyond me. If the spanish government had done this, there would have been a coup. If the french, they's be buring cars outside the palais bourbon. We're just letting Mr Brown carry on, and doing a few protest votes in the euro elections.

2) I think the next prime minister will be David Cameron. I can Gordon hanging on to power for as long as possible. The cynic in me is half expecting some kind of terrorist "attacks" next year to delay an election for as long as possible.

3) Motorbike. I don't really do 2 wheels (other than a push bike), but I think I'd just look stupid on a moped.

4) Tea and Toast. Unless I'm staying in a hotel. Then Full English.

5) Solar powered torch. Lots of sun cream. A lighter.

6) I've not played MGS4 (the talk of all the cut scenes put me off) but Snake.

7) Fave current drive: Button - He's having the season of his life, and seems so excited by it all. Past: Mansell. Grumpy. Bad tache. English. Won. what's not to like?

8) Shower. Had a new shower fitted, it's massive, the water can come out at thermo-nuclear temperatures, and it can drain a reservoir in a little over 10 minutes. Not looking forward to the water bill tho...

9) Favourite Super Hero - Spiderman. Super Villain - Lex Luthor.

10) Favourite Sport - Football - which is a very obvious answer. I love the darts as well.

11) An Aston Martin DB5, from the early 60s.

12) While I'll sit through the "celebrities" in the "jungle", I don't really see the point of them. I'd rather watch something that is well written and well acted. Proper reality TV is on Discovery and Nat Geo - not 16 tw*ts in the worlds most rediculous house in pinewood. Unless you class "Come Dine With Me" as reality... in which case, ignore all I've said above. I thin kDave Lamb is fantastic in that.
naking

Awards Cabinet

Postby vengance101 » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 9:20 am

Boo! Lex uther was rubbish, just greedy and didnt ever get it right against superman. Now I enjoyed the Joker from the batman cartoons (the films tend to kill characters off annoyingly) or the green gobli from spiderman. Apocolypse from X-men was just cheating cos you can never beat him. I liked that Magneto was always against the good guys but he wasnt actuially evil.

And Jenson button as best ever!!!! OMG, hes only winning everything cos his team bought all the honda stuff when everyone else was in termoil. Hes doing a schumacher and killing the sport. This is the death of F1. It just became SOOOOOOOO much more boring. Last year was better when the last race had about 4 blokes that could win the title. I used to watch rally, but then half the teams pulled out and same with touring car (diesel cars in racing, euww). Big teams that dominate are just no fun. Got to come up with a better sport. Any suggestions?

Vengance
vengance101
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby The Elders » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 9:29 am

Greetings naking

We, the Metatron, have finally awakened from our slumber and noticed you knocking on the doors of OAP Towers.

We've done a little investigation and wonder if this blog about naking is anything to do with you? We certainly hope you weren't the nude crack man in alligator rescue.

It would seem that you have been suitably prodded by the existing Bowling Club members and you've not gone running for the hills. We think you'll fit in just nicely around here.

So without further ado, arise [OAP] naking! You may wear the tag with pride when online and losing like the rest of us.

You should now have access to the rest of the website with its myriad of forums to wander through. Please take a moment to sign up to the announcement list over to the left to be kept informed of important happenings by email.
The Elders
The Metatron

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 9:40 am

vengance101 wrote:Boo! Lex uther was rubbish, just greedy and didnt ever get it right against superman. Now I enjoyed the Joker from the batman cartoons (the films tend to kill characters off annoyingly) or the green gobli from spiderman. Apocolypse from X-men was just cheating cos you can never beat him. I liked that Magneto was always against the good guys but he wasnt actuially evil.

I always thought Lex had an element of cool about him - perhaps it was just the way Gene Hackman portrayed him in the films.

vengance101 wrote:And Jenson button as best ever!!!! OMG, hes only winning everything cos his team bought all the honda stuff when everyone else was in termoil.

Not best ever.... best current. And I love the look of the white car with minimal sponsor logos.
naking

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 9:42 am

The Elders wrote:We've done a little investigation and wonder if this blog about naking is anything to do with you? We certainly hope you weren't the nude crack man in alligator rescue.

That's not me. The blogs about my naked exploits use another of my online aliases.... 8O
naking

Awards Cabinet

Postby P-Newson666 » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 10:18 am

Welcome to the full OAP.

See you online soon :D
P-Newson666
Bed Logger

Awards Cabinet

Postby clarkyspeaks » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 10:55 am

Welcome aboard feloow OAP!!!

Enjoy your stay!!!

Nurse.....fetch me my Brandy!!!!

:wink:
clarkyspeaks
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby RetiredUser2461 » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 11:49 am

Well done Naking! You made it in now mind you don't trip up in the telly room as some of the carpet tiles are lifting,i think it's something to do with excess moisture!(when will you guys get your aim right! :roll: :roll: ) :D
RetiredUser2461
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions