[BC'd] Newbie Alert!!!

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

[BC'd] Newbie Alert!!!

Postby FazerFlipper » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:30 am

Good morning/evening ladies and gentlemen. I wish to introduce myself with the specific aim of joining your magnificent club, I may not be able to make you laugh so trying flattery as well.

I'm Adam from Edinburgh Scotland, please don't hold that against me, I grew up in Bristol, so generally quite confused (especially during the six nations). Somehow I have managed to achieve 33 years of living so far and having two young children need to rack up a few more before cashing in my chips.

The six week old distraction called Joseph means that I really need to find a group of gamers that are OK with the occasional need to stop to change nappies, as I understand a few of you might have "bags" of your own I hope that you may be sympathetic to my plight.

In terms of gaming and computing, yes I go a relatively long way back, ZX81, Commodore 64, Amstrads and early PC's (the one's with CD drives with caddies). Unfortunately my parents didn't believe in furnishing me with console equipment :( , so I relied upon friends for Amiga and Sega action.

Gaming started for me at University with PC's (apparently it was also possible to type up essays on a PC). Games like Doom, Wolfenstien and my favourite Carmagedden were played on our LAN.

A while ago I bought a PS3 Slim, with a focus on car games I have played a limited number of games online with a member from here (I will save his blushes at this point by not naming him as might well be a member of good standing and I wouldn't like to ruin his Rep by associating with such a total noob). He kept talking about the "OAP's" and "Clans" for the past year or so. I bought Battlefield Bad Company but never went online as I didn't want to let the team down and be killed all the time. Having 'invested' in Battlefield 3 and participated in a game with a lot of OAP's (unwittingly), I have quickly realised the benefit of playing with like minded folk who value communication and team work. This is code for "I can't shoot for toffee, but I can manage to offer healing and health to a number of people"

Why do I think I am old enough to join? Anyone who's favourite colour is tweed and wears a Tilly (TM) hat more than baseball caps has to be in with a shout of qualification for the Bowling Club.
FazerFlipper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Neerg » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

Nice intro, welcome to the forums :). You have def come to the right place for what you are looking for.

What is your psn name, same as this forum name?
Neerg
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

Welcome Flipper,
first and foremost, you dont need to worry about 'letting the team down' in OAP. In fact you are not considered a proper OAP until you have a colonic award (see below), the award given for losing a match without winning a single round.

Plenty of nappy changers round here, (some of them even have kids too) so you may be able to get the odd match at 4am trying to get the baby back to sleep with the sound of gunfire.

Also plenty of driver and regular driving nights.

A scottish brizzler isn't that weird in OAP, we have brit yanks, dutch brits, belgian waffles, a clutch of ex-pat pommies, and even a Russian Scottish hybrid.... We are starting a new collection of canadians too.

pull up a pew and let us sniff those freshly changed nappy fingers.

We have switched you to proby status. this is an indefinite period of poking whilst we check you out pre-initation into full membership, the esteemed bowling club*. Its a bit like going to the doctors for 'a mans check up', though having a lubricated finger stuck up your back passage is optional. You will however be able to see more of the forums and see if you like the place.

*with initiation in to to the bowling club, the finger up the bottom is not optional i'm afraid.
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Postby Peejers » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

Welcome Flipper, naming the mole will definitely help you in your cause if done appropriately, the standard format is
Name - dish some juicy dirt on them.

You have been granted Proby status which should let you see a little more behind the curtain. Others will be along to probe you later, if they ever come off BF3. We do encourage you to join in both on the forums and on games so we can learn more about you. You may have met the dodgy drivers on Sunday nights who go out on GT5, if driving is your thing, but don't say you haven't been warned.
Peejers
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

'double secret probation'... you are honoured...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0cF2piwjYQ
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Postby FazerFlipper » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

Thanks for the welcomes guys. For clarity PSN username is the same as my forum name. However, I must apologise for the inaccuracy within my introduction, I'm 35, so must have had 2 years of not really doing much (or be more senile than I first thought!?)

I do feel honoured to have proby status, but not knowing the system means that the double secret probation makes me feel that I may have unwittingly already received an investigation whilst under the influence of too much gin.

I will certainly have an eye out for the GT5 night so that I can bust out the steering wheel with ironing board go faster modifications (mounting).

Feel free to have a poke, I will answer the majority of questions truthfully ;)
FazerFlipper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby P-Newson666 » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

Hello and welcome.

Don't worry about kill scores on BF3, I don't. Its more about playing tatical to get the points.

I'm a GT5 player, which I do alot these days, well until I brought BF3 that is to take me away from GT5 for a while.
P-Newson666
Bed Logger

Awards Cabinet

Postby Peejers » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

I think the GT5 night is usually hosted by Mane ( (his psnid is more than mane I think) so you'll need to get him on your FL to get in his lobby. The lag was bad this morning hence Wid beating me to getting you probyed.
Peejers
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby FazerFlipper » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 1:00 pm

PNewson666 I'm in the same situation, so maybe see you on BF3
FazerFlipper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 2:51 pm

Brilliant intro - forgetting your own age in the first post and then coming back to correct yourself a few posts later. Excellent OAP credentials, forgetful and pedantic.

Welcome, you'll fit in well here.
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby Wilks » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

Nice intro Fazer. Welcome to OAPs :D

I thought you were a little young to remember the ZX81, even at 35 you must have started early :D

Hope to see you on the Battlefield. We'll need a bigger friends list on psn the way things are picking up on here of late :lol:

FazerFlipper wrote:A while ago I bought a PS3 Slim, with a focus on car games I have played a limited number of games online with a member from here (I will save his blushes at this point by not naming him as might well be a member of good standing and I wouldn't like to ruin his Rep by associating with such a total noob). He kept talking about the "OAP's" and "Clans" for the past year or so.

I'll take a guess and say Sharky as he's your only friend on Battlelog :wink:

I've sent you a Battlelog friend invite, I'll do the psn one later :D
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sharky » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

Ah ha, my RL gin drinking buddy makes it to the forum. Flipper, I'm afraid mate that a vouch from me is likely to put you back a few steps rather than help. :wink: I can can confirm that Flipper shows both the first signs of senility and has a real life pair of slippers, much to my bare foot disdain, so is definitely due for some pills from the nurse and good future BC fodder.

As his home is within range of well thrown colostomy bag, I expect the secrets to remain just so.... :wink: :lol:
Sharky
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby FazerFlipper » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 5:08 pm

Thanks Wilks
Wilks wrote:I thought you were a little young to remember the ZX81, even at 35 you must have started early :D

*cue small, tiny violins playing in the background* Unfortunately, like the majority of my belongings whilst growing up, it was probably picked up at a Cub Scout Jumble Sale and probably therefore came into my possession later than most.

On a rambling aside, I can't remember which platform it was on now, but I used to love "Coding" games into the computers from books, the old:
10 Print "Hello, please let me join in the OAP Bowling Club"
20 Goto 10

Some of them got quite complicated and took ages to type in, then forced to stop for tea, power failure, loss of all information, need to start again... Therefore, hence or otherwise the lesson of back-ups were learned.

Wilks wrote:I'll take a guess and say Sharky as he's your only friend on Battlelog :wink:

Doh, at the time of writing my intro, Sharky hadn't added me in Battlelog, however, the more people who are willing to add me means I can try to cover up the embarrassing past, that, yes, Wilks, only one friend in Battlelog 05/11/11 15:57 hours... But now, 16:55 hours, I have two ;) - Thank you!

Sharky wrote:a vouch from me is likely to put you back a few steps rather than help.

I had kind of figured that, but felt that I needed to follow protocol and give a method of finding the OAP's. It would probably be obvious that a goon like me wouldn't have been able to find the OAP's without able assistance.

What I do think will help is the mention of my slippers... Whilst chasing down spent colostomy bags, the slippers come in extremely helpful, and yes, I have been know on multiple occasions to visit people's houses in my slippers. The BC will (IF my application is successful... And that is a big IF), in due course, provide ample opportunity for my feet to remain comfy AND dry.

To those who do not agree with the slipperage, may your bare feet remain warm and well perfused until old age (or diabetes) dost remove from you extremities of such great worth.
FazerFlipper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby TescoValueGamer » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:00 pm

Welcome to OAP Flipper, enjoy your stay, well we have to as we're pretty much all too senile to remember how to leave - just think of those who have been trapped here for years.

See you on the battlefield :)
TescoValueGamer
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby shadstah » Sat 05 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

TescoValueGamer wrote:Welcome to OAP Flipper, enjoy your stay, well we have to as we're pretty much all too senile to remember how to leave - just think of those who have been trapped here for years.

We can leave??? 8O

Nobody told me this when I visited nurse!

Welcome to OAP Flipper :)
shadstah
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions