A bit of an also ran touching down...

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

A bit of an also ran touching down...

Postby also-ran » Tue 11 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm

Afternoon all.

A 49-year old relative noob to the world of on-line gaming stopping by.

Although a former owner of couple of Atari’s, ZX-81, ZX Spectrum and numerous Sega, Nintendo, PlayStation & x-box machines, I only ventured on-line when I purchase a PS4 in the autumn of 2015.

Up until then a full-time career in finance severely limited my gaming time and my console could often go weeks without being switched on. A few years ago, I called time on that career and now spend my days as a record dealer, whilst about to achieve a long-held ambition to open a record shop (I am in the midst of negotiating a lease on a spot we have recently found).

This career change has freed up a little time for me to mess around with some on-line gaming on the PS4. I started with Battlefront in 2015, moved onto The Division in the spring 2016 and then BF1 in the autumn. I am though starting to get a little conscious about playing shooters with my young son around; so am currently messing around with FIFA 17 (in preparation for FIFA 18) and Elite Dangerous.

As things stand, I can see me focusing on FIFA 18 and the new Star Wars Battlefront come the autumn; but no doubt will be jumping back into BF1 when the DLCs land...

My screen name was chosen a few years ago; feeling both appropriate for a gamer of my age as well quasi-anagram of my real world name.
also-ran
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Re: A bit of an also ran touching down...

Postby Wilks » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 6:00 am

Hi AR and welcome to oaps. I also go far back to the days of gaming on the Atari and even earlier. A good intro and some great games you've been playing recently. I'm usually found playing Battlefield and looking forward to the other multiplayer shooters this Autumn. Hopefully catch you online sometime.
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Moonbeam7891 » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:41 am

Welcome to OAPs!

The name seems familiar, are you a member of DUKs (Division UK) by any chance? I'm a member but I've not played it for a while as I'm trying to platinum Skyrim SE :D
Moonbeam7891
Allotment Dweller

Awards Cabinet

Postby Saltyballz81 » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

Welcome mate, hope you enjoy your stay. There are quite a few Oaps playing Elite atm. I'll probably catch you on BF1 or SWBF2. :Y:
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby also-ran » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to joining on other discussions, when I have access to the BC area!

@Moonbeam7891. I recently joined the DUKs; but only played with one or two of the members. Most of my time in The Division was with a US / Europe group called 'Grumpy Old Men' that ran for most of last year. But it slowly ground to a halt as members moved onto other games.

The Division is one of those games, where I adore the environment & core mechanics; but despite the end game has been a mess since launch, I keep going back to. I received an invite to the PTS so will jump on that tomorrow in order to help with the testing of 1.7.
also-ran
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby ManicMyna » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 6:51 pm

also-ran wrote:I called time on that career and now spend my days as a record dealer, whilst about to achieve a long-held ambition to open a record shop (I am in the midst of negotiating a lease on a spot we have recently found)

could be a sneaky opportunity to snag some RSD stock when it rolls round again
ManicMyna

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:53 am

A record store eh? Who'd have thunk not many years ago that such a thing nowadays would be possible!

Do love me some good vinyl, I even toyed with the idea of jacking in my Apprenticeship in the late 80s to go work in Golden Disc in Southend, seeing as I spent most days after work there looking through their latest imports to see what I could get, which at 5 quid a pop wasn't many on my apprentice wage. (I finished the apprenticeship in the end then jumped trades to IT stuff, which I am loving as any of the other OAPs can vouch for ..............)
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Solid_slug » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 9:09 am

Welcome mate
Solid_slug
Tepid Tea Drinker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 11:11 am

A belated welcome to OAP mate.
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Return to Introductions