Reflexes ain't what they used to be!

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Reflexes ain't what they used to be!

Postby kaycee2011 » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 12:20 am

Hey Andes - welcome & Merry Christmas!
kaycee2011
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 2:19 pm

Once more, thanks immensely for the welcome, merry xmas to you folks too :D I'll send out friend requests to you guys (presuming you're gamertags in the PS4 OAP club match your forum names), and will undoubtedly be teaming up with some of you in various cyberspace-lands from hereon in 8) I couldn't resist Bloodborne at its silly sale price so will be getting my arse handed to me in the superb-looking Yharnam for a while, but am always up for Black Ops 3 broohaha. See you online and in here :D enjoy your boxing day kick-backs guys :beer:
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 1:53 pm

Awesome intro dude! great to meet you :)

SH1 and 2 for me is still two of the greatest games I ever played. Even though I've got nothing to play them on, I've still kept copies of the games for strangely sentimental reasons. Music 2000 is another one I've still got along with a memory card with all my old tunes on it.

Shadow remake does look amazing, but still feeling a let down by The Last Guardian at the moment.
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 8:43 pm

Evening Rogue, and cheers! What can I say, I approve wholeheartedly of your name, made me drift off into a 2000AD daydream which is always a good thing. Have you played the remake, and if so is it worth a tenner? I've got it on both my PS2 and OGXbox and though I love it I don't really love it enough to need another version. I was quite unbothered by the remake but its sale price keeps nudging me in the head. Any thoughts?

I play SH1 through an emulator, which allows you to nicely sidestep the PAL region censored bits ie getting attacked by teddy bears in the school :mrgreen: but still got my physical copy despite it being essentially useless. When my son moved in about 4 years ago I wandered off to nosey at the PS2 section in CEX whilst he filled his boots with a coupla 360 games he'd previously not been allowed to play. He was 15 but well there you go. Anyway yeah Silent Hill 4 jumped out at me for no good reason besides a vague understanding that the games were meant to be twisted as. About half an hour in I decided these needed to be done properly (in order), so binned the 4 playthrough and started at the beginning. To say it fckd me up would be an understatement. I'd never really felt the depth of total dread of going forward balanced with the compulsion to do so anyway. A masterpiece alright, but complete hogwash storywise. SH2 corrected that one downish-side emphatically, and presented itself in a field of one for its use of a video game to tell a story / fck your emotions up in the same way a musical / literature / film classic does. And proved (to me at least) that video games can sit perfectly comfortably on that level. As much as I love 3 as it features the very groovy Ms Mason, it was getting formulaic but 4 sorted that out, different enough and so skillfully fkd up to keep me totally engaged throughout. It also provided unarguable proof that I appear to be a bit of a mild perv *cough splutter*.

As for The Last Guardian, I'm interested to know what lets you down? Maybe it was beneficial for me to go in with more or less no expectation because I hadn't followed any of its development hell, indeed I only picked up SotC for my PS2 from CEX a coupla years ago because the cover caught my eye (ridiculously pleasant surprise lay in wait there). I knew TLG existed and was made by the same guy, but that was it. That was enough for me to make it my first PS4 purchase though, and it really did blow my mind. Coming directly from XB1, the graphics were / are so very far ahead of what I was used to, so that grabbed me, and I had no problems with the game at all, an exquisite platforming / figurey-shit-out game of the highest order. I've since read that folk found it horrible to control or get anything to work how they wanted it to, but I honestly had none of that whatsoever. Maybe (I don't know) that was because I took every opportunity, cos it's in my nature, to fuss Trico loads, he just behaved. I felt throughout like I was playing an improved version of Ico (I'm only about halfway through that and not overly inspired tbh) mixed with elements of Sotc, and I loved it, utterly. I intended to give it another runthrough whilst it was fairly fresh in my mind but have been entirely hijacked by Bloodborne. I won't start banging on about that right now cos this is already a long reply (I've just noticed how long I've been banging on for haha).

I'll send a friend jobbie on PSN Sir :beer:
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 11:51 am

RT does not "get" TLG because he has no soul. I loved it. The old PS3 has been resurfaced and I never got round to playing SotC (having completed Ico) so I might try that tomorrow.
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 1:57 pm

DaddyR wrote:RT does not "get" TLG because he has no soul. I loved it. The old PS3 has been resurfaced and I never got round to playing SotC (having completed Ico) so I might try that tomorrow.

:lol: is it possible to even have a soul if you've just been inserted as a biochip into your rucksack?

I'd say you definitely need a soul to admire SotC, and an aesthetically-inclined eye, but I guess it's safe to assume you have both these. Plus if you've made it through Ico and weren't put off by the ridiculously annoying near-constant spirit-battles then you're no doubt in possession of the required tenacity to eff those colossi right up. I've just completed my training for the forthcoming remake by completing the PS2 vers on hard mode, which all told didn't seem particularly different to normal mode but there you go. I have read that the PS3 version was more annoying than the original due to the increased likelihood of getting flung about, but if you ain't played the orig then who's gonna notice.

Enjoy the journey :Y:
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

It was boring with lacklustre visuals ... There, I said it. ;)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:12 pm

:lol: fair enough! What a dull world we'd live in if everyone thought the same about everything. I mean, I know some people who support man city, you can't get more diverse than that :lol: Personally I could wander round the castley-canyony thing for days, just marvelling at it all. It very much struck a Tomb Raidery chord in me (as do Ico and SotC), which is guaranteed to make anything stand out that bit more in my head. It was TR that more or less (with a bit of Crash B thrown in) single-handedly reignited my awe and love of gaming. But all that aside I think what gobsmacked me sooner into the game was just the detail on Trico, bloody feathers flying off everywhere and whatnot. You just don't see that level of detail on an XB1, so I was falling in love with my new PS4 at the same time as falling in love with this big effed up flying rat-type thing and all its idiosyncrasies. It was also a pleasant change to not be hellbent on sticking a sword through its skull, though I gather alternative opinions on that particular matter may exist :wink:
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Fri 05 Jan 2018, 9:03 am

The VR Trico demo is pretty good mind, just ends abruptly - literally you get to a point wondering "What do I do next", Screen goes black and "The End" pops up...
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:53 am

I'd be far too worried about being transformed into a Cyberman or somesuch to ever entertain the idea of completely entombing my head in an 'entertainment' lid. Eff that, as they say. I do love the Wagnerian gag in the Dredd movie though, whereby all hell is kicking off outside and there sits little unaware dude with his lovely VR lid on. Quite.
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 10:42 am

There are a couple of games, notably Superhot VR and Accounting Plus that employ a brilliant almost inception like feature where you have to put on a 'virtual' VR headset whilst in the game.

Theres also a great bit in the non VR version of superhot where sneak up on yourself sat in front of a computer with a VR headset on and beat the shit out of yourself
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 2:28 pm

roguetrooper wrote:It was boring with lacklustre visuals ... There, I said it. ;)

Heresy, burn the infidel.

I couldn't play SotC as the new house's broadband was not yet connected so the PS+ games couldn't register. So I played Portal 2 from a disc instead. I've never played the single player before and it was fun.
DaddyR

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 2:40 pm

Orange box remastered... That's something I'd definitely buy :)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 4:24 pm

roguetrooper wrote:Orange box remastered... That's something I'd definitely buy :)

I had The Orange Box and now I don't. Where is it?
DaddyR

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 7:01 pm

DaddyR wrote:
roguetrooper wrote:Orange box remastered... That's something I'd definitely buy :)

I had The Orange Box and now I don't. Where is it?

Try looking on your PS3 Rich. :wink:
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions