Hello OAP, this is Pallol calling.......

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello OAP, this is Pallol calling.......

Postby Pallol » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 12:38 am

Hi There,

So, a little about me....

I am 31 years old, and my initial foray into computer games began twenty years ago with the introduction of a shiny Sinclair Spectrum 48K. I cut my gaming teeth on such gems as 3D Ant Attack, Manic Miner, Skooldaze and BoulderDash. The spectrum was surpassed by a Commodore 64, the platform for one of my early gaming triumphs when I completed Rainbow Islands during the early hours of one glorious morning. I still marvel at the stamina we all had in those days, when the only way to save a game was to pause it and leave the bloody thing switched on (not much fun when the 50p runs out in the meter).

Since those halcyon days, I have worked my way through an Atari STFM (mine), a Commodore Amiga 500 (my brothers, still in a loft somewhere), an Atari 2600 (still got it for retro purposes), a Sega Mega-Drive (my roommates), a PSOne, various PC's and currently a PS2.

Some of you may have seen/shot/overtaken/scored a stunning individual goal against me during the PS2 Online Beta trials, I am an occasional player on Hardware (CS Universe), and can regularly be seen lying in a pool of blood on Socom II (must practice more). Hi to Pepper by the way, who generously allowed me to win a game of football against him and his brother last week.

When I'm not playing games, I can usually be found 'Systems Administratoring' (work), playing tennis (fun), or putting comments in brackets after everything (irritating).

So there you have it. I ask to join your happy clan of aging delinquents. I think I might just fit in.

Cheers,

Pallol
Pallol
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Apostasy » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 12:41 am

Nice intro, I'm sure you'll soon be getting a message to say you've been allowed in, can't see anyone saying no :)

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I would agree with you. "
Apostasy
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby hongkonguk » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 8:06 am

No.

Now what was the question? Sorry about that,force of habit. That habit develops when you have three kids and a wife addicted to eBay.... 8O

edit: Sorry mate,forgot to say hello.

Hello. :D
hongkonguk
Gum Gnasher

Awards Cabinet

Re: Hello OAP, this is Pallol calling.......

Postby HoodedClaw » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 8:21 am

Hi Pallo,

I did it the other way round - I started with a C64 and went back to a spectrum a few years later - had the microdrive, expansion pack and a snapshot cart - add a account with an irish gaming rental company.. and a my weekly stack of games later saw me through my school years..

3D ant attack - what an EXCELLENT game -

I remember getting back form the pub - watching telly and drinking more - than when the mates were all asleep at 2am - starting an all nighter and playing until the sunlight reminded to to have a piss and wash the grit from your eyes - 2 hrs kip later and it started again... 8O blimey - couldn't do that now... 4am and I'm col dand asleep playing...

I then got a Amiga 500 from a mate who bought a 1500 (really what WAS the point of that) and was totally addicted to a game.. Typhoon Thompson? A mouse breaker - you were a lad in a inner-tube with a jet pack and cannon - and had to dash over water to kill the aliens... anyone remember this better?

anyway - good to see you found us.. I look forward to creating you pool of blood to lay in :wink:
Keeping Sigs Simple since Apr 23 2003
HoodedClaw
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby dogstar » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 8:31 am

Hi Pallol,

Welcome to the OAPs :D Like the others I liked your intro and I loved skool daze and boulder dash too - class games the both of them. Although if I had a £1 for every time I got lines in the former for messing about with a frog in the girls toilet.... :wink:

Haven't played Hardware for a while but if your interested we have the OAP Sunday Drivers Hardware team? There's a link on the main web page if your interested.

Also we (OAP) haven't ventured out too much into open rooms on socom 2 so I haven't seen you on there either - look forward to making up for that soon!
dogstar
Colostomy Bag Carrier

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 9:01 am

Lo dude

Always nice to meet a speccy fan, but why did so many of our recent joiners turn Traitor (like yourself) and defect to commodore.

When my speccy died, I committed myself to never touching another home computer again... I was gutted...

Of course, 3 hours later, I went round to my mates house and played thing on a spring on his C64 and forgot all about it ;)

Hope to see you gettin busy with the bullets soon.

Oh, and if you see muccker lying helpless on the floor.. its best to steer clear of him. Once he grabs hold of you, his athritic spasm is difficult to prise off.
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 9:18 am

Hi Pallol, always nice to see a new face. So tell us about the car you are using as an avatar - is it a well loved posession or an enviously wished for obsession? Not too many of us here are allowed to drive, so I bags shotgun on pension day.

hongkonguk wrote:a wife addicted to eBay.... 8O

OMG, I have one of these as well. She made it through 8 months of maternity leave OK, then wanted to buy a metronome for BabyG (don't ask), did a Google search, found eBay, hijacked my account and Yahoo email address and spends my PayPal savings. I have finally persuaded her to sell as well as buy now, but the degree of obsessive compulsive behaviour exhibited almost matches my PS2 fixation. HKUK - can you recommend counciling?
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby Repo » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 9:38 am

Hello Pallol

Welcome matey.

Gald to hear you like the old SOCOM, I'm sure we'll catch up on it very, very soon.

What is it with everyone and Speccys - WHAT ABOUT THE GOOD OLD BBC? Now that was a proper computer, not some plasticy games machine with a keyboard :wink:

Anyway enough ranting.

Hope you enjoy yourself in the community - see you soon.

I'm a self-made man, but I seem to have lost the assembly instructions.
Repo
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby hongkonguk » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 9:38 am

DaddyR wrote:She made it through 8 months of maternity leave OK, then wanted to buy a metronome for BabyG (don't ask), did a Google search, found eBay, hijacked my account and Yahoo email address and spends my PayPal savings. I have finally persuaded her to sell as well as buy now, but the degree of obsessive compulsive behaviour exhibited almost matches my PS2 fixation. HKUK - can you recommend counciling?

I wish I could find a solution too mate (although we already have a metronome for our daugter 8O ) My missus has hijacked my ID (calls herself hongkonguk1-how original.If you see her in a sale either outbid her or if its your item,pull out of the sale :wink: ) and is now bidding most days. But,and this is the best bit,she asks me if there is anything I want to bid on-I guide her to the PS2 games section (want Ghost Recon,its only £20 BRAND NEW FFS!!) and she says no,I am not spending money on crap!!

Women. :roll:
hongkonguk
Gum Gnasher

Awards Cabinet

Postby hongkonguk » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 9:40 am

Repo wrote:What is it with everyone and Speccys - WHAT ABOUT THE GOOD OLD BBC? Now that was a proper computer, not some plasticy games machine with a keyboard :wink:

Tsk!!

Rich boy...... :wink:
hongkonguk
Gum Gnasher

Awards Cabinet

Postby Ringo Smith » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 9:52 am

Greeting Pallol,

welcome to the place that never sleeps. Apart from nap time at lunch. The 2:00 nap and when ever you feel like a nap.

Saying that, im off for a nap now.
Ringo Smith
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Re: Hello OAP, this is Pallol calling.......

Postby Boba UK » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 10:29 am

Hi Pallol,

Nice intro...sounds like you'll fit in well round here.

I used to love boulderdash as well - but on the C64 rather than speccy.

I too play Socom 2 (badly), Hardware (a little better) and overuse brackets (frequently). Once you're accepted in to the hallowed halls of the bowling club as I'm sure you will be you can find us OAPs on Hardware usually on Tuesday and Sunday evenings and Socom 2 every evening in several OAP closed rooms. See you online soon.

Hooded Claw wrote:I then got a Amiga 500 from a mate who bought a 1500 (really what WAS the point of that)

I did exactly the same thing - My mate must have had more money than sense I suppose. He had a job at the time whereas I was still a stooodent.
Boba UK
Support Stockings Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 11:14 am

Lo Pallol,

Don't worry about the smell - it's just Kank's bag split open AGAIN. Because we were playing wheelchair football with it AGAIN. With him still attached to it.

Welcome to the nuthouse matey :D
Not watching any football since whenever.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Jonah » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 12:16 pm

Welcome Pallol,

Nice Intro mate. Ahh, the speccy 48k. I loved 3D Ant Attack.The amount of times I saw the words
SILLY! YOU BLEW YOURSELF UP! followed by the death march music. Much the same now on Socom then LOL.

I haven't seen you about on S2 yet. Not surprising really as I can't abide Open Rooms nowadays. I'm sure we'll meet soon though if you pass your initiation into the Bowling Club.

Rogue, pass the nipple clamps and the car battery.
Jonah
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby HoodedClaw » Wed 24 Mar 2004, 1:03 pm

DaddyR wrote: So tell us about the car you are using as an avatar - is it a well loved posession or an enviously wished for obsession?

Looks like a spitfire to me - I had a red one...
Keeping Sigs Simple since Apr 23 2003
HoodedClaw
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions