Hi all this is my intro

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi all this is my intro

Postby Dandan » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 12:36 am

Hi

My name is dan and i am 28.

I live in Liverpool. I first heard about OAP whilst playing my mates PC, sorry!

As i preferd PS2 i thought that i must introduce myself and try and join in with people my own age who understand the escape the little black box provides.

I was introduced to home gaming playing dino hunt? on the ZX81

my first game was in 82 with my speccy playing jet pac.

I have had gameboys, snes, before moving to Sony.

I am soo so new to online PS2 i havent even played online this is due to me not being able to get the bloody thing to work. If any one could help me with that aswell i would probably cry.

Thanks

Dan
Dandan
Cat Food Hoarder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 12:39 am

Lo Dan,

There are lots of folk here who can help you get things moving on the PS2 front. They're like some kind of magic machine, you put your problems in one end, and the solutions come out the other. I'm a complete technoduffer but I'm sure that one of the others will be along at some point (when Nurse lets them) to give you a helping hand.

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Sav.
Not watching any football since whenever.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

its late

Postby Dandan » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 12:49 am

hi sav

thanks for the info

i will make a note 'if i have tech question ignore sav'

i was just getting myself a cocco to help me sleep or i'l be asleep during the footy later

Dan
Dandan
Cat Food Hoarder

Awards Cabinet

Re: its late

Postby Sav » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 12:56 am

Dandan wrote:'if i have tech question ignore sav'

Probably some advice applicable to all :D
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Old_Red_Eyes » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 8:09 am

Hi Dan,

More advise would be ignore Sav at all costs over anything really, makes life that much easier...

Anyway welcome , but erm i'm also a little dumb on the tech side , but the geeks aint awake yet , this is like the middle of the night of the geeky type...

Anyway Jetpack arrr yes the days we thought that was awesome, okay i was more your strange adventure type person, and that aint changed lol..

Anyway welcome to the site... Sure some elder type dood will welcome you in time too , but its also way early for them, mainly due to all the medication they take, and well i think they need more actually..

Okay ill go off and hide now.. Hope i aint put you off the place with my strangeness..

Just remember Ignore Sav at all costs...
Old_Red_Eyes
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 8:54 am

If you have any kind of question dan, its best to ignore sav.

An acomplished liar, he once had us poking through our poo for a week after he convinced us all that he'd dropped his late wifes super-spangly diamond ring into the porridge vat while walking through the kitchen and that one of us must have consumed it...Oh, how we laughed when the cheeky cockney chappie told us it was just a jolly wheeze.

Nice to meet another local dude, I'll let a few of our other residents prod and poke you (watch out for red, he's still contagious) and catch up with you in a bit :)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby martok » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 9:52 am

Hi Dan

Welcome to the OAPs, where everything smells of wee and the temperature in the nursing home never drops below 104 degress... :wink:

Another Scouser - the second one to join this week, if I remember correctly. I originate from the other sode of the water, the 'posh' part - the Wirral. Anyway, I'm now down South to help educate these Southerners in various things including talking proper ('bath' not 'barth', 'pass' not 'parss' etc) and having manners! :)

So, if you're 28 you must have been only 5 ish when introduced to gaming. A young starter then! Me, I'd be 14 when I started with the ZX81. There are some here how are MUCH older, but don't mind them, especially when they dribble on your shoes! :P

Jet Pac was fun at the time and quite advanced on the Spectrum. Did you play anything else on this wonderful rubber-keyed machine?

What other games have you played on the various platforms, especially PS1 and PS2?

PS2 online gaming is great, especially with this lot - no more kiddies hurling insults and aborting. Unfortunately most people's eyesight here in OAPs is so poor and the senility has set in that they end up shooting anything that moves, including their own team mates! :cry: A youngster :baby: like yourself will be able to lead us old blind 'uns by the hand as we wander through the levels of SOCOM, Star Wars: Battlefront etc :wink:

So, you need to get online. Lots of techs here who can help, but here's a few questions for you to answer to get them started:

1. Have you got a network adapter yet? If not, get one, can't get online without it
2. Who is your Broadband Internet Service Provider (ISP) - techs might need to know this as there have been problems with some
3. What type of modem have you got - a USB modem or Ethernet modem? (Depending on what you have will determine how you PS2 will be connected).

I hope you enjoy your stay here and that the Elders will let you join the 'sekrit club', and we'll have you online in no time!

"Today is a good day to die"
martok
Bed Pan Brandisher

Awards Cabinet

Postby somefool » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 10:04 am

hello dan, i hope to be killing ewoks alongside you soon.

you might find it useful to get on the OAP irc (or multiplay.uk.quakenet.org server, room oaps if you have an irc client) you should find more immediate help in relieving your lack of online gaming situation.

this season we are also been playing burnout3, ghost recon, splinter cell, hardware online, tiger woods 05 and some little game called socom and its new big brother socom 2.
somefool
Mumbler Extrordinaire

Awards Cabinet

Postby Kaiser » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 10:18 am

Hello Dan

Welcome to our smelly home! :P :wink:
Kaiser
Trolley Trundler

Awards Cabinet

Postby dreggs » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 11:13 am

Hi Dan
Welcome to the Nut house :lol:
dreggs
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 4:10 pm

Lo Dan,

After a successful prodding, I'm pleased to announce that the Elders have given your application the belch of approval.

This means you can join the elite ranks of our bowling club. This is the nerve centre of OAP where we are currently planning a mission to take basic literacy to the unwashed yoof of online gaming. (we like a good challenge)

As a member, you'll now have full forum access and a free pass to play in our nice, cosy, closed rooms set up for the growing number of online titles. Passwords can be found here : http://oldageplaystationers.com/main/mo ... opic&t=490

No club membership is complete without a badge of some kind and you may now also use the [OAP] tag with your gaming handle.

Welcome to the bowling club dude, see you online soon :)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Thanks everyone

Postby Dandan » Sat 02 Oct 2004, 5:05 pm

I hope i wont get kicked out in the first week.

I am curently playing Socom1 and ghost recon.

I will offer to go to B&q on sunday so i can really get hold of SWbattlefront, which is as far as i am concerned the game me ps2 was made for.

hopfully i can sort my IT issues out and start shooting you fellas in the back as i hide behind everyone else.

'Follow me lads I am right behind you'

dan

ps i live in Crosby which is the posh bit
Dandan
Cat Food Hoarder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Sun 03 Oct 2004, 2:01 am

Welcome to the Bowling Club fella,

Don't listen to the comments about me, I'm a mine of (mostly useless) information.

And Rouge smells by the way, that's what it is.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Yakker » Sun 03 Oct 2004, 4:24 pm

Hiya Dan - another toffee ?? and they still let you in

There again - the sympathy vote does sometimes surprise even us ;)

but ...
ps i live in Crosby which is the posh bit
that just scares me dude -- RT - I reckon he is clearly dillusional - hide the keys to the medicine cabinet - describing Crosby as posh is like describing Morecambe as cosmopolitan

:D

Catch you online soon Dan

Yakker - from the proper posh bit ;)

I'll be in the [deadzone / graveltrap] if you need me

*delete as applicable
Yakker
Gum Gnasher

Awards Cabinet

Re: Thanks everyone

Postby DaddyR » Mon 04 Oct 2004, 8:55 am

'Lo Dandan and welcome to the Bolwing Club.

Dandan wrote:I will offer to go to B&q on sunday so i can really get hold of SWbattlefront, which is as far as i am concerned the game me ps2 was made for.

Obvious signs of premature dementure, B&Q don't do games sonny, they do wood. Although judging by the slack jawed muppets that run our local DIY emporium they'd refund a game without knowing what they are doing.

(Me - "Yer, it's a copy of Twisted Metal Black Online but it's a bit crap, can I exchange it for a drill or something"
Slack jawed B&Q dope - "Ungh")
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions