Introduction - HastaLaVista

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Introduction - HastaLaVista

Postby HastaLaVista » Thu 19 Jun 2003, 10:23 pm

Evening all!
As you'll see from my profile, my real name is Mark Williams and I live in Cheltenham. I reached the major milestone of 40 last July, so I'm clearly hurtling towards being a forty-oncer and another step closer to bus-pass heaven.
In fact I was born and raised here, fondly remembering the very first episodes of Grange Hill (thinks..wonder what ever happened to that nice young lad? Tucker Jenkins I think his name was). I also loved Blockbusters with Bob Holness (put yourself on the hotspot), long before it became a chain of video stores. Other faves of the time were Magpie, the Tomorrow People, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirl, and the (original) Waltons.
Boy, those were great TV programmes, but I guess a lot of you youngsters don't know what I'm babbling on about.

After returning from university (just scraped a pass), I joind a well known insurance company in the town. Can't tell you the name but they did have an Eagle and a Star in their logo. I spent a happy 18 years working in the IT department, in the same business, even though we were eventually sold off to an American business. Sadly, we didn't last long with them and after they decided to close our office I was made redundant ...ahhh! Still I copped a decent payout and instead of rushing back to work, spent the last summer watching the world cup, commonwealth games, wimbledon etc etc. In addition, I splashed out and set up my own wireless home network, so the kids could all surf & msn in their own rooms. Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!

I've always been a bit of a technofile and a big kid too. I still own a megadrive, a saturn, an N64, a PS1 and a PS2 (bought for my 40th last year). The kids tend to do more gaming than me, or at least they did until I signed up to the beta trial and got hold of SOCOM! Man, is it ever addictive!?! I've lost a lot of sleep over the past weeks, but then my afternoon naps have become a bit longer to compensate. Sanatagen works wonders too. I've also let my two boys loose on Socom. You may have come across BananaPie and =ukeg= benji in games since the beginning of the trial. They're honest players, but like me, are easy to kill!!

I toyed with the idea of joining a clan, but didn't want to get into that ultra-competitive thing, so stood back. I don't consider myself a good player. I'm just adequate. Last time I looked I was only about 450 in the rankings and probably falling day-by-day! Still, I did kill Rambo three times in successive rounds in a game last night, so I know I'll die happy.

Anyway, I guess I've already put you off, so I'll close there and keep my fingers crossed.
Hasta
HastaLaVista
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Old_Red_Eyes » Thu 19 Jun 2003, 11:47 pm

Hi HastaLaVista aka Mark :)

Welcome to the OAP's

Well we more a community of gamers rather than a clan here, yes true you can play competive in a team but just as easily enjoy our far more relaxed nightly closed games on the eu west server now as its easier to get us all on one server then :)

Think I've seen =ukeg= benji about think one of our teams OAP Ghostwhite is playing the ukeg on Sunday...

Anyway thanks for the wonderful and full introduction it is always nice to see longer introductions :) Just turned 35 meself and mostly remember all those programs i think, although for blockbusters its always 'Can i have a 'p' please BOB' i remember more.. but that dont say much for my sense of humour lol..

So you are more than welcome to join us..

Anyway you should get an email in a little, saying your invited to join the bowling club, all this means is that you will be able to read more of the forum and you are also then eligable to play in our nightly closed games, the password to which is in the Meetings sections of the forum, and also give you the right to use the [OAP] tag in front of any online name you have. The name is only compulory if you wish to play in any of our teams but playing in a team is not compulsory as we have many who just enjoy playing the more relaxed closed games.. If you do wish to play in a team the way to apply is in the FAQ . the link to which is on the left menu..

But mostly welcome.. and feel free to have a look around
Old_Red_Eyes
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby captain black » Fri 20 Jun 2003, 1:30 am

Hey ho hasta

Another one in their forties and a brilliant intro, welcome on board, being 39 now I remember all them TV shows. The Tomorrow People was a strange one; the theme tune was used not long ago for a C5 quiz show… I shouldn’t know things like that. 8O :? :roll:
SOCOM [OAP]GIT, 444 the number of the beat
"Give up now so you can save your ear drums"
Got me rifle, got me bullet, cant go round it, got to go through it.
captain black
Allotment Dweller

Awards Cabinet

Postby Jinx » Fri 20 Jun 2003, 7:20 am

Hiya Hasta

Played againts BananaPie - good little player

Join in on the nightly OAP Closed maps and be serenaded by Wizz or dispatched by his claymores

Be sniped by Red (He was on form last night) or like me get regularly shot by LT or Sci-Fi

Talk to you in the dead zone :)
SOCOM : [OAP] Jinx
:replaster2:- [OAP] Red vs >GB<
:replaster2:- [OAP] Red vs UW
Jinx
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Re: Introduction - HastaLaVista

Postby HoodedClaw » Fri 20 Jun 2003, 8:14 am

Hi Hasta, We don't worry about the rankings - they are more relative to how long you are online than to how good you are! I'm excellent and I was in the 700's last night :wink: We only rate people on how entertaining they are, with a top score given to the last person alive - only to watch then leap to their death be total accident - or better - blowing themselves up (bouncing a grenade off a wall helps this)

Tucker is of course in Eastenders, along with the rest of Grange Hill... Our school did the doubles on Blockbusters, unfortunately they chose the popular 6th formers to go on it and not the intelligent ones.. .and we all laughed as they only managed £15… the lowest doubles on the whole show! I liked Magpie, Hmmm Maggie…. And Happy Days, although even then I always thought it a little ‘strange’ for someone as old as Fonz to hang out with school kids! I always preferred ‘Little House on the Prairie’ to the waltons… but that wasn’t as good as Swap Shop where some 8yearold could phone in and swap his sisters toys for something more useful!

Anyway – Look forward to seeing you online…
Keeping Sigs Simple since Apr 23 2003
HoodedClaw
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

With age comes.....

Postby c00ky » Fri 20 Jun 2003, 8:45 am

Greeting Hasta!

It seems that those of more advanced years do enjoy putting more into their intros. Being only 33 it is always a joy to read about someone that is closer to the great big PS2 in the sky.

Tuckers luck, what was the name of the character played by Mykola Pawluck (??) I now keep seing his name as editor on a number of BBC productions - sorry rambling again.

I trust you will find us all friendly, helpful and just as inept as you make yourself out to be. I assume that yours is a 1 PS2 household, so maybe you can help out in the upcoming UKEG battle by making Benji go and have a bath or clean his teeth or summat at a "crucial" point :wink:

C U Online!
c00ky
Award Nerkin (Ret.)

Awards Cabinet

Postby sgetsuo » Fri 20 Jun 2003, 9:15 am

I will confess that I'm too young to have seen any of those programs the first time around, but I remember them all from re-runs with the exception of Magpie. Makes me feel almost sprighly again to have even older than me players on-side - that is until I stray through an open room and have the 10-year olds use me for target practice! :?
I've definitely seen Benji on SOCOM - I hope being in conflicting teams isn't going to cause too much household friction! Especially when our gallant Ghostwhite squad bring their wooly hats and shooting sticks to bear on the ukeg.

Anyhoo - good introduction :) Hope to see you in the OAP room real soon!
Part of the Callypigian OAP Purplerinse teamImage
sgetsuo
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby agingam3r » Fri 20 Jun 2003, 9:30 am

Hello HastaLavista!
Welcome!
As Red put so aptly, you've just joined a big and friendly community of gamers. 8) The atmosphere here is so different. No doubt, you'll have many evenings of fun in the OAP rooms.

Meet u online! :D
aka [OAP] LT
agingam3r
Tepid Tea Drinker

Awards Cabinet

Postby ByTor » Sat 21 Jun 2003, 2:08 pm

HiYa HastaLaVista,
and ure older than me by 2 months :D
there is hope for us older gadget guys yet.
seen u playin, sure u got me a few times , grrrr
it wont take long to get the hang of this game.

welcome to the team, see u in game
At the Tobes of Hades
Cheers BT
ByTor
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby Scooby » Sat 21 Jun 2003, 2:41 pm

Hi Hasta
I was trying to remember the Tomorrow People just the other day, it must have been one of my very first recollections of TV, we used to play at it with our snake belt buckles :?: Is that the right program :?: Anyhow I go on too much about old stuff and I'm the first to complain about it. See you online soon I hope

Scooby
Scooby
Allotment Dweller

Awards Cabinet

Postby HastaLaVista » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 8:06 pm

It seems that today is my third anniversary as an OAP.

:banana: :party:
HastaLaVista
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby martok » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 8:19 pm

Happy third anniversary, Hasta! :)

Your intro thread is interesting to read from two points. Firstly it gives away yours and Bytor's ages ;) (nowt wrong with being 40 and over, he says convincing himself as my 40th approaches next year :yikes: ) Secondly, the number of people who welcomed you who aren't around anymore! Here's hoping you stick around for a long time to come. :)
martok
Bed Pan Brandisher

Awards Cabinet

Postby ByTor » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 9:17 pm

I'm still younger by month's n month's by the way...hehehe
3 years! , where did the time go...S1, S2, all those drunken night's..would not have missed it for the world
:D
At the Tobes of Hades
Cheers BT
ByTor
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Re: Introduction - HastaLaVista

Postby Mulletino » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 10:27 pm

HastaLaVista wrote:Evening all!
As you'll see from my profile, my real name is Mark Williams Parnham and I live in Cheltenham.

8O :wink:

Happy turd anniversary Hasta old chap. :D
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby widnesboy » Tue 20 Jun 2006, 6:28 am

haha you old git. you told me you only just scraped in the younger age limit.

the tomorrow people! now there was a program. DO you remember a really weird proram called 'sky' sith some bloke with red eyes in it. And a series where people went all funny and smashed up all technology and metal things? can't remember what that was.

happy 3rd birthday.
widnesboy
Bad Ass Midget

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions