Cycling

Get outside for some fresh air and have a natter in the garden...If it isn't directly related to Playstation online gaming or the OAP community, then talk it over here. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cycling

Postby fireblade » Mon 15 Oct 2018, 9:55 pm

:rofl: done it myself, holiday in Majorca hired a mtb, riding along went for big handful of rear brake and as you say turned out to be front, went down faster than a hooker with a £50 in their pocket :D
fireblade
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Tue 16 Oct 2018, 4:00 am

Yeah I upload to Strava. Can't work out where the link thing is though. It's starting to warm up here now, should be able to ditch the longs soon, even at 5am (most of my riding is before breakfast).
Not watching any football since whenever.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby fireblade » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 5:48 pm

You must be opposite side of the world then as I had first ride back in leggings n jacket yesterday. Long time now till we break the shorts out again. Click on my Strava link and send us a follower request then we can take the piss far easier ;-)
fireblade
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andy-El_Loco » Thu 01 Nov 2018, 9:31 am

Hi, newbie here, and also a cyclist :-) I have an Orbea Orca - all I need now is some way to connect my turbo to the PS4 or learn to play the PS4 whilst on the Turbo :Y:
Andy-El_Loco
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 12:47 am

Andy-El_Loco wrote:Hi, newbie here, and also a cyclist :-) I have an Orbea Orca

Is it like this?
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 9:19 am

Mulletino wrote:
Andy-El_Loco wrote:Hi, newbie here, and also a cyclist :-) I have an Orbea Orca

Is it like this?

Or this?
naking

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andy-El_Loco » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 5:21 pm

Nope, that one looks faster than mine :lol:
Andy-El_Loco
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Tue 06 Nov 2018, 3:53 am

Orbea? Nice - I ride an Avanti Cadent.

Got some new wheels last week, holy crap it makes such a difference. I picked up some Pro Lite Bracciano 42mm from Wiggle, they go so much better than the Velocity Deep Vs I had on.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 11:54 am

Anyone else get involved in the maintenance side? I started doing my own maintenance last year, most of it is a piece of piss. So far, I have:

Changed gear cables (internally routed)
Changed cassette
Changed chain
Serviced hubs (cup and cone bearings)
Changed bar tape
Changed bottom bracket (bb86 press fit)

I also changed my Zwift bike from 9 to 10 speed. It started as a flat bar hybrid with a triple crankset, but I picked up a complete 10 speed groupset for next to nothing so I put drop bars on and changed from 9 to 10spd. That involved trying to get the square taper bb out, which I ballsed up completely and had to take it to a shop.

In my experience there is an air of mystery around looking after your own bike, but with a few tools and YouTube it's really not hard.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Peejers » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 2:11 pm

I tried, not sure I have the patience, Adjusting derailleurs seems like a black art to me, for something that should be so simple.
I changed out my gear cables a year or so ago, and in doing so, found a problem with a shifter being broken and falling apart, I am sure it wasn't caused by me, but it makes you doubt yourself, so I said screw it and had it serviced in the shop.
Peejers
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm

Patience is indeed a virtue. I wasn't being virtuous last night when I was struggling to get the gear cable through the frame. After a bit of swearing and a lot of swearing I let gravity take over and through it went.

For reference, I was finding that a service at the shop - very basic stuff like a new chain and cassette - was costing me in the region of $150 a time. I paid that much for some basic tools and with online retailers chucking out parts for peanuts I'm glad I do most of it myself now.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Plaxinator » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 8:30 am

I used to do all my own maintenance, but used to hate adjusting the brakes and derailleurs.
This was my go to site: https://www.sheldonbrown.com along with a Haynes bicycle manual.
My bikes (Dawes Ultra Galaxy tourer, Boardman road bike and Carrera hybrid) are now gathering dust in the shed.
Plaxinator
Allotment Dweller

Awards Cabinet

Previous

Return to General Chat