Cycling

Get outside for some fresh air and have a natter in the garden...If it isn't directly related to Playstation online gaming or the OAP community, then talk it over here. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Cycling

Postby Wilks » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

Picked up my new Boardman hybrid last weekend so there was no finer way of breaking it in with a nice 29 miles this morning by taking part in The Gower Bide Ride for the British Heart Foundation. :D

Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Re: Cycling

Postby FazerFlipper » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 5:00 pm

Nice one Wilks, I went out for a ride the other night (first since having a large lump removed from my arse)

Just over 12 miles tracked by my GPS :y:

Http://bit.ly/OylUaV
ImageImage
Click Signature for OAPs participating in the "365 Trophies in 365 Days Challenge"
FazerFlipper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Wilks » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

Nice one Fazer. I have been using an app called 'My Tracks' which is good but I've noticed Bazza using Endomondo so I need to check that out also.
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Watty » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

There's also Nokia Sportstracker for iPhone and Symbian (yes, that's right) which, IMHO, is better than Endomondo (and free).
Pacman hi-score 152860. Space Invaders hi-score 424620
Watty
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm

I have Sports Tracker on my phone that I used to use in the UK and will start using again once I get myself a lovely shiny new bike :)
Not watching any football since whenever.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mr_Sorter » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 10:51 pm

Well done mate, My wife and I support the BHF, our first child was born with fallots tetralogy, without there help he wouldn't be alive today, my wife actually does the sponsored swim EVERY year.... :Y:
DONT TREAD ON ME!!!
Mr_Sorter
Allotment Dweller

Awards Cabinet

Postby Fifi » Fri 21 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

I'm still cycling but not quite so many fun rides this year, either I've been busy or sick or it's been rainy and my favourite places turned to mud bogs. Had a nice ride in the Chilterns a couple weeks ago. Nice to go for a ride then come back eat lots of goo and play some PS3

Fifi
Fifi
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Fri 21 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

I commute to work every day, total distance 9.6 miles across mixed elevation.

Every so often when the weather is nice enough and I have the time, I ride a bit further. Well, more than a bit further, 54 miles to be precise!

I was hoping to bag my first 100mile ride this year but alas it doesn't look like I'll achieve that this year now with the change of weather and my fitness levels.
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Sav » Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

Well, this morning was my first cycle commute into work.

http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/av270a312/title/avanti-blade-2

I got myself one of those a couple of weekends ago. I had some proper pedals fitted and have some of those fancy shoes too. I nearly fell off right outside the bike shop on my first go on the cleated shoes, what a bellend.

Launceston is in a valley and there are bastard hills all over the place, but I've worked out a few 15+km routes to build up some stamina and fitness before I think of anything longer. Keep turning those pedals :)
Not watching any football since whenever.
Sav
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:14 am

Sav wrote:I got myself one of those a couple of weekends ago. I had some proper pedals fitted and have some of those fancy shoes too. I nearly fell off right outside the bike shop on my first go on the cleated shoes, what a bellend.

Ah, clippy shoes and pedals. I been riding with them for years, and I still forget every now and again and fall off. The best was a couple of months ago, in the one week of summer we had. I was on my normal route home, and there were 2 young ladies waiting to cross at a zebra crossing. So, I sucked in my belly, smiled, gave them the cheeky eyebrows, and stopped to let them cross. Completely forgeting to unclip from my pedals, and slowly fell off.
naking

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:29 am

naking wrote:
Sav wrote:I got myself one of those a couple of weekends ago. I had some proper pedals fitted and have some of those fancy shoes too. I nearly fell off right outside the bike shop on my first go on the cleated shoes, what a bellend.

Ah, clippy shoes and pedals. I been riding with them for years, and I still forget every now and again and fall off. The best was a couple of months ago, in the one week of summer we had. I was on my normal route home, and there were 2 young ladies waiting to cross at a zebra crossing. So, I sucked in my belly, smiled, gave them the cheeky eyebrows, and stopped to let them cross. Completely forgeting to unclip from my pedals, and slowly fell off.

:rofl:
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Wilks » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 7:20 am

I think it could be the end of my cycling to work until March. The temperatures are heading down towards freezing and that's only when it stops raining. :(
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby FazerFlipper » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 7:25 am

At least when it's raining you know that it won't be too icy, stick with it Wilks :y:
ImageImage
Click Signature for OAPs participating in the "365 Trophies in 365 Days Challenge"
FazerFlipper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Wilks » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 7:31 am

FazerFlipper wrote:At least when it's raining you know that it won't be too icy, stick with it Wilks :y:

Try telling that to my wet underpants. :lol:
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:16 am

Wilks wrote:I think it could be the end of my cycling to work until March. The temperatures are heading down towards freezing and that's only when it stops raining. :(

I don't mind the cold, or the wet. as long as you have the right, and sufficient, clothes on, you'll be fine. Snow is brilliant. People think you are a complete headcase for riding in the snow, but it's infinitely safer than my car, and the snow cushions you when you fall off.
naking

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to General Chat