Culinary Corner

Get outside for some fresh air and have a natter in the garden...If it isn't directly related to Playstation online gaming or the OAP community, then talk it over here. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Culinary Corner

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 07 Nov 2017, 2:08 pm

While I was off work for 3 months a couple of years ago after having my hip replaced, I started looking at different recipes from all kinds of cooking-types to try and make 'the worlds greatest.. (insert dish here)' as a contest between me and Wen-because she reckoned her cheese and onion pie was better than mine

Turns out a girl called Felicity Cloake who writes for the Guardian had the same idea and saved me a lot of time and experimentation.. Cheers Fliss.

I've made quite a few of her suggestions, recently including Steak and Ale Pie, Bolognese, and Boeuf-Bourguignon but tonight I'm going for Chilli

What's got me interested are 2 things:

1. No tomato
2. Includes a pint of coffee

Anyone else made chilli with unorthodox ingredients? I've had it with chocolate in it before, but never a pint of Mellow Birds
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Re: Culinary Corner

Postby DaddyR » Tue 07 Nov 2017, 4:36 pm

Chilli with chocolate gets a tick from me. I've not tried it with coffee though but eagerly await your report.
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby Dillonstar » Tue 07 Nov 2017, 4:39 pm

RT I know for a fact you've had chilli made with coffee as you had it when you came to my stag doo! Also remember there being a fair bit of Dave's insanity sauce making it's way in there too!

D*
Dillonstar
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 07 Nov 2017, 5:17 pm

Dillonstar wrote:RT I know for a fact you've had chilli made with coffee

D*

I’ll have to take your word for that. I don’t remember an awful lot about that weekend other than it involved an amazing breakfast, a lot of drinking and clay pigeon shooting.

I kind of remember the Insanity Sauce bough :)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 07 Nov 2017, 5:42 pm

You know. It’s things like this that just confirm to me that I’m a definite candidate for early onset Alzheimers :Y:
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby vengance101 » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 10:23 am

"While I was off work for 3 months a couple of years ago after having my hip replaced” is the single most OAP line i think I’ve read on here! I hope it went well by the way, my Dad had his done when he was quite young and i have seen how painful it can be so i hope you have recovered nicely and didn’t suffer too much in the process.

My daughter has biblical quantities of chilli flakes in the cupboard and like chilli chocolate too. Her taste buds will be fried like Dave Listers by the time she’s my age!

V
vengance101
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mane » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

*vouch*
For coffee in chilli!

There's a Moroccan street-vendor pancake thing that's usually filled with a spicy tomato and coffee mix, but I prefer the non-tomato version because tomatoes make me sick, but I can't remember what it's called - it sure peps you up though!
Mane
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby kaycee2011 » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 3:01 pm

I once made Mexican Mole sauce from scratch (an entire mornings activity) which is effectively nuts, chocolate and a tonne of various dried chillis...Mmmm Mmmm soooo good! :smile:
kaycee2011
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 10:26 am

vengance101 wrote:i hope you have recovered nicely and didn’t suffer too much in the process.

V

Yeah, I was a bit shocked that I needed it doing at 44 (I thought I'd torn a ligament) but apparently if you have a genetic disposition towards osteoarthritis, Motocross, Martial Arts and Running are the 3 worst things you can do to prematurely wear your hip out.

Op was fine : https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6dl2Y14OGJ6rj2j1

Then this year I unfortunately learned the limits of bending over stuff in Jan.. Then just be sure, I did it again in August :roll:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6dl2Y14OGJ6rj2j1

Check out my kneecaps ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L8SzFPqZUnGOqS0w2

Mexican mole sauce sounds ace kaycee. Will have a look at that.

The chilli was very nice, but a little on the sweet side for me. Would miss out the brown sugar next time I reckon.
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 12:25 pm

roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Return to General Chat