[Battlefield 3] Platoon Match of OAP Versus SAS?

Wanna challenge us at any Playstation online game? Just make a challenge here if you promise not to get called away at tea time by your mum, then we'll most likely accept. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

[Battlefield 3] Platoon Match of OAP Versus SAS?

Postby meticulousdragon » Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:41 am

I was hoping to organize a friendly (non-league) match between OAP and SAS. This would be a platoon/clan battle for Battlefield 3.

I am a member of both Platoons. I know that SAS is looking for platoon matches, and thought that we (OAP) might be interested. I have already talked to the leader of SAS, Pumpa79, and he is amenable to a match. His platoon is made up of a bunch of good guys, mostly from Australia. We could expect a fair and good match from them.

If we are interested, how about a start time of 12:00 PM (noon) British Summer Time (BST) on Saturday, August 11, 2012? Obviously, we can propose a different time if we want. Most of SAS is in Australia, and they are currently 9 hours ahead of the United Kingdom.

The players in SAS actually like the same settings that we do: the normal settings, except for friendly fire turned on. The settings can be negiotated also.

In addition, we can negiotate the maps as well. The way the matches work for Battlefield 3, you choose two maps for the battle. What maps would you want to see?

The matches are normally 12 versus 12, though lower numbers can be arranged.

If we are interested, I don't mind being the OAP team leader and organizing this from our end. I'm not certain about any OAP rules regarding this, so (Elders) please advise me if needed. If someone else needs to take the lead on this, the Battlelog ID of the SAS founder is Pumpa79.

So, is anyone interested in a platoon battle?
This message posted by meticulousdragon.
Above image from the http://bf3stats.com/ website.
meticulousdragon
Tepid Tea Drinker

Awards Cabinet

Re: [Battlefield 3] Platoon Match of OAP Versus SAS?

Postby Wilks » Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:12 pm

Hi Dragon. Sounds good to get a match going but 12 noon on a Saturday may not be too popular here I think. Perhaps so in the Winter months but its peak holiday season here. 8)

Another problem could be lag and the distance between the 2 countries. US servers should be fine but with 1 team being based in Australia and the other in UK, it could be a problem unless we use a server half way. :lol:
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby FazerFlipper » Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:16 pm

I would struggle to play BF3 during the day as my children are about, but sounds like a good prospect for those who could make it.
ImageImage
Click Signature for OAPs participating in the "365 Trophies in 365 Days Challenge"
FazerFlipper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roger947 » Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:21 pm

My ping speeds to OZ are over 360, and i'm pretty sure that the lag will be horrendous.

There's loads of topics about this on the battlefield forums, in fact i distinctly remember a couple of threads where the Ozzies in question, were asking people not too play on their servers because of the problems that they were having with lag.

the principal of having a clan match is a sound one, i just don't think it would work over such a great distance. :sorry:
roger947
Gum Gnasher

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:54 pm

Nice idea about a match Dragon, although (as said above) the time difference will probably prove to be a problem. Most of us don't get on much before 20:00 BST, which is probably when all the ozzies are asleep.

Maybe Mullet and Solo could take em on together :wink:
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby meticulousdragon » Sat 04 Aug 2012, 1:03 am

The lag problem I couldn't fix. (And it sounds like it's really bad today!) I play with people in Australia all the time (I'm just a night owl I guess). Sometimes I do notice lag, sometimes it's OK.

The time could certainly be adjusted. If we did hold such a match (if there was really enough interest in it), what would be the latest time that we could start the match? The matches seem to last about two hours.

I've already seen the suggestion of 20:00 BST. Would any later start times be feasible?
meticulousdragon
Tepid Tea Drinker

Awards Cabinet

Postby meticulousdragon » Tue 07 Aug 2012, 1:54 am

At this time, there doesn't seem to be enough interest to pursue this. So, no match for now.

If, in the future, there is any interest in pursuing an OAP versus SAS match, just let me know.
meticulousdragon
Tepid Tea Drinker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Wilks » Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

meticulousdragon wrote:At this time, there doesn't seem to be enough interest to pursue this. So, no match for now.

If, in the future, there is any interest in pursuing an OAP versus SAS match, just let me know.

I'll try out an Australia server this week and see how it goes. :D
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Return to Challenge OAP