Google Hangouts on Air

Ever wondered what OAP members grumble about into their recordable 8-tracks? Well now you can find out. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Google Hangouts on Air

Postby Yaster » Mon 02 Jun 2014, 11:36 am

The guy in this video is hardly the most interesting person in the world, but after checking out the current state of podcasting and finding out about the more "conversational" approach they have these days, I wanted to reintroduce the idea of bringing back the Oddcast with Googles hangouts service being the way we capture ourselves talking.

Of course this would mean that we will be on Camera and that the show would be live and unedited, although what we capture will apparently be archived on the hosts Youtube channel, so we won't need to worry about publishing.

Another good thing about using Hangouts is that we can use mobile devices to take part, which I know we could have done with Skype too but still.

It's also been a long time since we got together to talk a bit of game so there's not going to be any shortage of content.

Anyhoos, if anyone feels like resurrecting the podcast, reply in here!
Join the [OAP] Discord server.
Yaster
Zimmer Wielder

Awards Cabinet

Re: Google Hangouts on Air

Postby AnthonyUK » Mon 02 Jun 2014, 1:45 pm

i would but, a) no camera and b) a face for podcasting! :D

Would be great to listen if ya can get it up and running
AnthonyUK
Pension Book Holder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:05 pm

I am always tempting myself with a come back but I just don't have the time anymore for something regular.

Would this method allow remote listening (like a normal podcast)?
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby dudleydacat » Fri 27 Jun 2014, 1:36 pm

I would happily get the band back together, we could do all the old hits, like erm, like the bit when we talk about games and the bit when we talk about ga...Ok we could do all the old hit.
But seriously it would be good to get another podcast sorted but I do think it would be good if it can be listened to like a normal podcast after all this is what our audience was use to and we dont want to upset him.
dudleydacat
OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby kxtcd950 » Fri 27 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

Would Google Hangouts require a google account to be able to access it? The good part about a "proper" podcast is that anyone can listen to it, whether they're googled-up or otherwise.
I can get the oddcast software back up and running on the site no problem, if that's a factor in the google decision.

+2 for getting the oddcast back
-1 for making it google (boo!)
We are dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.
kxtcd950

Awards Cabinet

Postby ManicMyna » Fri 27 Jun 2014, 5:40 pm

you can watch it on youtube (it'd be on the hosts channel unless an oap channel was set up), judging by my own uploads on youtube, an audio mp4 should be able to be taken from it so long as there is no copyright claim on the video
ManicMyna

Awards Cabinet

Postby Wilks » Tue 24 May 2016, 6:13 pm

I'd love to see the OAPodcast return whether it would be Hangouts or even PS4 Party Chat and stream to Youtube. I listen to many Podcasts in work or walking the dog and miss the OAP one.
Wilks
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Fri 27 May 2016, 8:06 am

One of my fave amateur podcasts (Video Game News Radio) now uses Hangouts and live streams to Twitch (I'm not sure if that's a push from Hangouts or both systems running in parallel).

I would love to have the time to record more OAPodcasts but the simple fact is that I don't. Sorry. Just won a 6 month project in Wirral that I am Directing on a full time basis so spare time is family time.
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Return to OAPodcast