Reflexes ain't what they used to be!

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Reflexes ain't what they used to be!

Postby Andes Attack » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 1:19 am

Evening all, by 'eck I do believe I've found the right place :D definitely qualify for the forum, I still remember (just) my lovely Vic-20 and all its glorious 3.5K-related Llamasoft craziness (had an 8 (count 'em) K cartridge too), was probably around 12 or something at that time so that puts a reasonable date on proceedings. C64's weren't even dreamt up at that point! Been gaming on and off thereafter, moved from Vic to Toshiba MSX ( a what?) then drifted, catching a bit of Doom on a work PC and being thrilled but petrified by the speed, until a PS1 happened along, with Alien Trilogy, Resi 1 (with no instructions so that didn't last long, annoyingly, I've only recently discovered what a joy it is), the obligatory Crash Bandicoot (I adored Donkey Kong in the arcades so Crash was a Very Good Thing), and most significantly Tomb Raider. That caught my attention. Progressed to but rarely touched a PS2, and that was that til my teenage son came to live with me, armed with a 360. That was all well and flash but I rediscovered what a treasure my PS2 was, found Silent Hill and was gobsmacked that a game could do what those first handful of SH's did to one's sphincter and one's soul; found Shadow of the Colossus, no more need be said on that masterpiece. Offspring-related reasons meant an XB1 followed the 360 but I was never too happy with it (missing the PT demo was not a good thing) and the trailers for the Shadow remake were the final straw, I sold it recently and now have a gorgeous PS4 in its place. The differences are clear to see, I love it. All that's missing is some like-minded folk to shoot Zombies and pyjama-wearing pogoing Black Operatives with. My library is meagre just now, besides BO3 I've got Doom, the MP is okayish but I'm good for a few rounds, Rise of the Tomb Raider for which I'm always up for some Endurance co-op, and the quite brilliant The Last Guardian which I've just finished. Must be getting soft as the seasons pass, I cried like an Oscar winner peeling onions (though not as much as during pretty much the last half hour of Silent Hill 2) at the end.

And yeah that's probably too much information by a distance, but there you go. I'm UK-based but don't seem (so far) to have as much trouble on PSN as XBL did with pan-global partying-up. Looking forward to making some PSN mates, and I'm pleased to meet you fellow Memory Clinic-botherers :lol:

edit : OOOOOOOHHHHH I'm IN! Cheers guys! Quick skeg at the newly available forums and then my afternoon nap. Niiiice.
Last edited by Andes Attack on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Re: Reflexes ain't what they used to be!

Postby tyza1971 » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 7:30 am

Hi Andes, thanks for the intro! I started with a VIC20 too! Ì never got on with mine, so traded it for a Spectrum 128 +2, then later for an Atari 2600 for the plug and play element.

Do you still have your old PS1 or 2?

Oh and gaming wise from the games you mentioned, you need to play "The Last of Us" on PS4 :Y:

I'm sure other OAPs will be along shortly, once they've awoken from their slumber...
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:35 am

How can you possibly not get on with a Vic 20??? :lol: I adored mine. My mates 28 (or whatever it was) Spectrum may have had better games and more of them, but it was a doorstop masquerading as a home computer, let's be honest. The buttons were nice to chew though, and so long as I could nip round to his to get my fix of Manic Miner ('how can this great game come out of that doorstop?' I cried) then life was good, but I couldn't exist without Llamasoft, and Matrix / Andes Attack in particular, the speccy didn't really seem to do mental shooting games very well.

Can't even remember what happened to my PS1 (figures in an OAPs forum), probably my ex-wife insisted on selling it if I wanted a PS2. Still got my PS2, same big phat beast I bought in 2002 or thereabouts, at the time specifically for the brand spanking new glorious first-time-on-next-gen Tomb Raider game. Erm, yep. It stopped playing PS1 discs years ago but I recently gave it a revamp and stuck a HD in it, so it's now stacked with goodies and used more than ever.

I borrowed my son's mates PS3 specifically to play The Last Of Us, but tbh I got very bored rather quickly so gave it back. It was obvious there was something decent cooking away in the background storywise, underneath the bog-standard Post-Apocalypse Land, but stealthing around just got boring and samey, maybe cos I'd just spent far too long stealthing around outposts and fortresses in Far Cry 4, and I'm more action than stealth in general. I'd rather call my fear out and smack it over the head with a plank than try creep past it. Perhaps that's why I love Silent Hill games but never got MGS. I'll give it another look at some point, the Resi 1 'incident' is a sharp reminder of how first impressions should not be ones final impressions, but it ain't high on the list. There's a ton of PS4 exclusives demanding my attention first, from classics like Rez and Wipeout to that fancy looking Horizon Zero Dawn, and I neeeed Bloodborne, even though I only made it about halfway through the first Dark Souls, I think I'm okay enough with what to expect from it. It's good and cheap in the sales I notice, so if Santa is kind to me Bloodborne will be up next.

Anyway look, get a pensioner talking and boy do they go on :lol: :grandpa: thanks for the welcome :D
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Saltyballz81 » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 12:37 pm

Nice intro and welcome to the forum mate. I've not even heard of most of those computers you had! (my gaming life started with a speccy 48k!) :lol:

How did you hear about this grubby old place? And do play, or intend to play some of the newer AAA titles? (Destiny 2, COD, Starwars, GT sport etc?)

Anyways, enjoy your stay and chuck those invites around and get stuck in. There's always a game night or a random chat party up most nights. Hopefully catch you in a game at some stage. :Y:
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby Gazman86 » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 1:07 pm

Great intro, welcome to the forum. Where did you hear about us? I'm with salty, hadn't heard of hand those game machines. I started with an Atari.
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

Thanks for the welcoming welcome guys :D

First things first, and being as beligerently pedantic :lol: as only old gimmers can be, a Vic 20 was not a games machine (cough), it was a Home Computer (cough splutter), one of the first of its kind so quite the revelation at the time. The fact that it had a brilliant Defender clone (the aforementioned Andes Attack) on it, whereby you saved llamas rather than smelly old humans, did rather grab my attention more than the basic Basic programming side, but hey.

I stumbled across this place by spectacular accident, just last night. In the internet's special way of taking you from where you don't want to be to where you wouldn't want to go, I was trying to find a fix for V2 controller sticky R1 buttons, and somewhere in the morass of forums and no useful information I saw a link to OAP PS forum, couldn't believe my eyes (standard scenario really, they're usually wrong these days :grandpa: ) but followed the link and voila, an actual useful net trawl! Haven't fixed the button mind. Imagine the distress of seeing a thousand R1's are easy to fix! links only to then discover that's for V1 controllers and what you've got sonny is a V2. I've had it out and cleaned it up but tbh there was nowt to clean; it soon started sticking again.

As for new AAAs, I've got Destiny 2 on free trial and bought it for my lad for xmas, he loves his Destiny but it's waaaay too mental for my skills. Too much going on at any one time, and anything taking more than not that many bullets to kill doesn't get killed when I'm shooting at it. I made it as far as the first shielded up dude in the forest and no further. I'm not so sure about the new CoD, my son played it at a mates and said it's a bit poo. I'll certainly be getting the next one cos Treyarch seem to produce the goods, but I'd prefer to pick up the season pass for BO3 tbh, I miss Der Eisendrache and a few (though certainly not all) of the MP maps. The one downside of binning the XB1 was binning my prestige master lvl 250ish MP dude, and all the Zombies maps, even if I didn't know my way around them so well. Ah well. I WILL be buying Far Cry 5, even though I'd rather be playing Far Cry 4 2 (Kyrat is such an amazing place) than haranguing American religious types. So I'll definitely be up for co-op malarkery on that :Y:

Invites will assuredly be forthcoming. I've not had time to have a proper nosey around here yet, couldn't even tell you if my PSN tag appears by default with any post I post, kinda assumed it did but maybe it doesn't. In which case mine is Andes_Attack :mrgreen:
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Saltyballz81 » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 4:13 pm

Ahh, i thought your name was based on Atic Atac. :lol:
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby Geriatric44 » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 8:42 pm

Welcome to our humble abode I travelled down the same path as you as far as PCs and consoles are concerned but I still have a PS1, PS2, Ps3, PS4 & PS4pro. The latest CoD WW2 is great my advice to you would be to get it.
See you in the servers
peace and love
Tel
Geriatric44
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 11:22 am

Hi Andes, welcome to OAP Towers!
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby lainybobs » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 12:11 pm

Welcome andes! I'm also definitely getting far cry 5. its looks so good. So I too will be on the look out for coop help.
Lainybobs :pcpunch:
lainybobs
Tepid Tea Drinker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 1:48 pm

Guys you're all ace and so friendly! I'm now in a mental place that I'll be a more than bit dischuffed if I don't make it in to the Biscuit Cub or whatever you call it, sorry Bowling Club! Right, to try give some semblance of coherence in replying, actually eff it I'll just ramble...

Atic Atac - was that an Ultimate game? Seems to ring a bell. I was very fond of Ultimate in the day, indeed I 'm sure it was the availability of Ultimate games on MSX that swayed the vote in it's favour, althoughit was probably more my Dad believing the microsoft hype about MSX being the future. Well, Gates certainly made sure he was the future one way or another, just not via MSX. Aaaanyway yes, Jetpac, all them 3D symbiotic games (whose names I totally forget), loved Ultimate :D

I'll probably pick up WWII at some point but I really am in no mad rush so will wait til it's nice and cheap. It's notable that the only CoD game not represented in the current sale is BO3, which is of course the one I fecking wanted to be in the sale, maybe I'll just buy the first DLC, I really do want to get back to upgrading those bows on Der Eisendrache. But as a general rule I won't pay launch price for anything, simply because it's usually cheaper a month later, and waaaay cheaper a year later. Maybe I've just lived on the wrong side of the Pennines for too long and the hairy odd locals' spendthrifty ways have started to seep into me. Dear God what a thought :? :lol: obviously there'll always be some new game that will buck that trend, and I know I'll be shelling out for SotC and FC5 in Feb / March, and although I've no idea when that Death Stranding is coming out, I feel that will be an essential immediate purchase too, although fair do's what can you tell from a few funky FMVs? Nowt, so we'll see.

Oh and Mr Geriatric, that's rather a lot of Playstations Sir. I thought my 4 console combo was excessive (modded OGXbox, 360, modded PS2 & now PS4). I was compelled to pick up and mod an OGX when I saw the transcendent delights of Metal Wolf Chaos. No wonder it never got released in the US :lol:

Right, time for mi afternoon nap, cheer again everyone for being so groovy :beer: and merry xmas (even though God I could rant on about the concept of 'xmas') to you all!

another edit : as a prime and very current example of how doddery my mental capacity is these days, I just added an edit to the wrong post, to say I've just noticed that I'm IN, and can view all the forums. Thank you guys, that's bloody awesome :D and deserving of a few more of these :beer: :beer: :beer: best go pick up a mat and some woods (is that the right term for bowling balls? I was always too busy chucking a corkie at people to pay too much attention to the goings-on at the bowling green next door).
Andes Attack
Tartan Slipper Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Peejers » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 2:19 pm

So. Obviously you read the instructions, but one thing you have only just noticed yet is your name has turned blue which signifies that you are in. A whole lot more of our space has opened up to you since last night. Feel free to dig in and get involved.
Oh and welcome by the way.
Peejers
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Gazman86 » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 2:21 pm

Was about to say you've been successfully added to the bowling club. Plenty more of the forum should now be visible to you.
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby solo-nite » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 4:29 pm

Welcome to the OAPs Andes

That's a great gaming machine history you got there. I started my gaming world with the Commodore 64 back in the day. Great machine, I had tons of games on it. Then I moved to SNES, then PS1 (Alien trilogy was my first game too) PS2, PS3, PS4 and PS4 PRO.

If you have or planning to get Star Wars Battlefront 2 (only £30 on Ps4 store at moment) I run a OAP Battlefront Saturday event every week.
Here are the details

https://www.oaps.org/main/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31539

I am sure we will team up at some point :gaming:
solo-nite
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 6:03 pm

Hello Andes and a merry Christmas to you.
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions