Hello all

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello all

Postby Stubaru7 » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 3:36 pm

Hi, I'm Stu.

I came across you guys by fluke, saw two of your number having a snowball fight in the tower, checked the Clan and hey presto!
I am really old, 49 with a mental age of say.......12 and no one in my current clan will play with me due to my lack of reflexes and arthritic wrists, but hey dry your eyes I still retain my sense of humour.

I started gaming on arcade machines with Asteroids being my first love, then the mighty Dig Dug and my real love Xevious with which I spent far too much of my youth.
Console gaming highlights Binatone has to be tennis, Atari defo Defender back in the day when my parents thought it would break the tele, Megadrive has to be Sonic, SNES would be Streetfighter, PC gaming never got past the wonderful Command and Conquer, start playing in daylight and not noticing darkness has descended, Mac for the original and still the best - Ghost Recon, played this in work a lot with a mate, still might be the best gaming experience EVER, PS and Xbox the usual Cod GranTurismo etc.
I am currently playing Destiny 2 after years on D1, no real room for other games as they just do not have the same feel and physics of Destiny.

So there it is, another poor soul losing his life to Destiny, I enjoy being out thumbed by 13 year olds in the Crucible.
If anyone can advise me where to buy a PS4 controller holster for my zimmer I'll buy them a Twix.

The really clever amongst you will already be onto my love for fast cars, check my name and think about it :wink:

Cheers guys,

Stu.
Stubaru7
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Re: Hello all

Postby ManicMyna » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

:Y: proper arcade Dig Dug - emulation just doesn't give the same feels as standing in front of an arcade cabinet, and a pox on EA for trashing westwood studios
ManicMyna

Awards Cabinet

Postby Plaxinator » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 6:56 pm

Welcome Stubaru (yes, I saw what you did there before reading your post). Surely proper grumpy old men can fashion something out of old undies and velcro for a controller zimmer holster?

You can get Dig Dug on the PS4, I have it.

I’ve not played D2 for ages, not touched the DLC yet, even though I got the season pass. It’s just not gripping me the same as D1.
Plaxinator
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Postby naking » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:11 pm

Hi Stub,

Welcome to OAPs. Nice Intro. I think Asteroids was one of my first obsessions.

I'm not a Destiny player, but there are a few of 'em around here, so you should find some one to play with.

Later dude.
naking

Awards Cabinet

Postby Geriatric44 » Wed 27 Dec 2017, 8:08 pm

Hi Stu
Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it here, your arthritic fingers will be in good company there's plenty more here I am about the same mental age as you but can give you 20 years in real life. I am not really a Destiny player although I have dabbled in both D1 and D2. Currently Battlefront 2, BF1 and CoD WW2 are keeping me busy.
Have fun
peace and love
Tel
P.S. good intro.
Geriatric44
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby kaycee2011 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:48 am

Hi Stu, great intro - welcome!
There's quite a large Destiny clan here at OaP towers, I dont play it so much anymore thanks to CoD ww2 but sure I'll catch you around at some point...
KC
kaycee2011
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Stubaru7 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:02 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I've used all my velcro to hold my Landie defender together.
Will look into joining your Destiny Clan and see who's about.

Does anyone remember an Atari game called River Raid, my rather cloudy mind recalls renting this back in the day and thinking it was gaming at its very peak.

I see you're in sunny Coleraine Geriatric44, my latest bike hails from the Kwak place there, I'm in even sunnier Carrickfergus btw.
Stubaru7
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Andes Attack » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:32 pm

Your memory serves you well Sir, River Raid was a pinnacle of gaming at the time, if only a pinnacle of 'Scramble-clone games that've been tipped 45 degrees anticlockwise' :lol: although I may have it wrong, maybe Scramble was a River Raid clone tipped 45 degree clockwise?

Welcome from a fellow noob, marvellous place this. I'll be unlikely to join you online unless our gaming-tastes shift, Destiny causes my retina to detach with its on-screen mayhem, but still, what we lack in visual acuity we make up for with good old fashioned manners :D
Andes Attack
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Stubaru7 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 1:51 pm

A fellow river raider, renting a game out was possibly the most exciting thing ever back then.
I find the old spectacles give me that most needed Crucible edge :mguns:
Stubaru7
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 2:21 pm

Welcome Stu, oh yes I remember renting games from the local video library! And I particularly remember River Raid on Atari VCS2600 by Activision (when they were a good studio who cared about their audience / customers) rather than endless milking us like the cash cows that we are. :evil:

I loved the simplicity of early video gaming (I remember when this was all fields etc...) and publishers released titles fit to play (not requiring patches)

It went downhill after PS2 in all honesty... :grandpa:
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby Saltyballz81 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 2:39 pm

Welcome to Oaps Stu, i'm sure some of the destiny lot will chuck an invite your way soon. Hope to catch you in a game soon. :wink:

Sunny Carrick? I see Dementia is kicking in already..... :grandpa:
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby Stubaru7 » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:19 pm

tyza1971 wrote:It went downhill after PS2 in all honesty...

Agreed, had a look at the games for PS4 before Crimbo, as one does, nothing took my eye.

Saltyballz81 wrote:Sunny Carrick? I see Dementia is kicking in already.....

Another balmy Carrick evening here.
Stubaru7
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby wilskywalker » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:55 pm

Hi Stu,

Welcome to OAP, great intro by the way, I love that you bumped into some of our guys in the Tower and that prompted you over to our site! I see your name has turned blue, I'll add you to the OAP clan online.

We are pretty casual most of these time, but we do the odd raid/nightfall etc every so often as well, have fun! :Y:
wilskywalker
Mumbler Extrordinaire

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:23 pm

Welcome to OAP Stu :Y:
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby solo-nite » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 1:39 am

Welcome to the OAPs Stu. I played a ton of destiny 2 at launch but it burnt out quickly much more quickly than D1 which is shocking.

Currently I am playing a ton of Battlefront 2 and organising the OAPs Battlefront Saturday Event every week.

Here are the details

https://www.oaps.org/main/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31539

If you have the game or are getting the game on cheap one PSN January sales let me know and I'll add you to the events list.
solo-nite
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions