Hello There Fellow OAP's

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello There Fellow OAP's

Postby JFacer » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 4:30 pm

Hello Folks,

At least 150 words? Sheesh tough crowd! :)

My name is James, and I am an (aged) gamer - 42 years young

I started out in the early 80's saving the world from Spacer Invaders and Asteroids on the old Atari. Following that I was fortunate enough to receive a Commodore 64 one Christmas and spent the following years of my life playing more games than I can remember, but the one that lives strongest in the memory is Elite. That game took over my life for far too long. Eventually I moved on to an Amstrad CPC6128 (the one with the built in disk drive, which was jaw-droppingly awesome back in the day - no more adjusting the heads on the tape player to get the games to load :D ). I used to love playing games like Gauntlet, Robocop, Ikari Warriors ect on that machine. From there I eventually entered the PC universe and kept my gaming going on that until I finally purchased a PS2 and have stayed on the Sony platform ever since for my gaming fix.

This year has mostly been taken up playing No Man's Sky and Destiny 2. Two games that came out with huge expectations and failed miserably to live up to them on release :( NMS did get to the place it should have been at when released and all through free updates. Still waiting for Bungie to sort out Destiny 2, but as a huge fan of the original (and evidently a sucker for punishment) I am keeping with it in the hope that they will eventually listen to the community and pull their finger out....

Think that covers the entry requirements :)
JFacer
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Re: Hello There Fellow OAP's

Postby Saltyballz81 » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 4:38 pm

Welcome James, just seen this post, bit of a slow day today, what, with the hangover and all. :drink:

Great intro, Gauntlet, Robocop and Ikari warriors where some of my fav games as a kid too! And i think Elite holds fond memorys for a lot of Oaps. :wink:

Enjoy your stay and i'll catch you on the cyber plain. :Y:

Ps. How did you come across OAPs?
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby Gazman86 » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 4:45 pm

Great intro, and welcome. There's quite a few members still playing Destiny 2 so I'm sure one of the admins will send you an invite to the destiny clan at some point. Also quite a few members playing Battlefield 1, Battlefront 2 and CoD WW2 with events usually on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday, although there's always some OAPs online all week.

No Man's Sky, :cry: the game that ruined digital purchases for me. Had such high hopes and the final release was a shadow of the trailers. As you say though the game is in a different state now with many updates, I personally found though that I'd already spent so long on the game before the updates, going back and finding out there's now a load of different resources I've got to scavenge ruined it for me. Should have delayed the game and released much later.

Should get some more replied once everyone's up from their afternoon naps :Y:
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby JFacer » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 4:49 pm

Thanks Salty

Found this site after a google search for "gamers over 40" lead me to a thread on a Australian forum where a poster mentioned this place. It appears you guys are a global phenomenon now :)
JFacer
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Neerg » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 4:51 pm

Hi Jfacer, welcome to oaps. It’s a new year, so I’ll forgive the c64 over the speccy ;)
Neerg
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby JFacer » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 5:05 pm

Thanks all

Gazman - agree with you on NMS - I'd platinum-ed the game by the time the 'waking titan' update launched and could not get into the new version of it

Neerg - haha C64 for the win, although I do remember playing r-type to death on a friends speccy
JFacer
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby kaycee2011 » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 6:41 pm

Welcome jfacer - great intro! I used to love Gauntlet too. We have a large Destiny clan here at OAPs although I don't personally play it so much anymore thanks to Cod Ww2!
You will notice your name has turned blue, more of the forum has now opened up to you and you are welcome to join the OaP in game clans.
Enjoy! - KC
kaycee2011
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Saltyballz81 » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 7:13 pm

JFacer wrote:Thanks Salty

Found this site after a google search for "gamers over 40" lead me to a thread on a Australian forum where a poster mentioned this place. It appears you guys are a global phenomenon now :)

Just had a look. Its Mulletino who shared the link on that site to here! :lol:
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby Peejers » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 10:20 pm

Welcome jfacer. Hope to see you in game soom
Peejers
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Geriatric44 » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 1:06 am

Welcome to OAP Towers that's a good intro. Hope to see you in the servers sometime although I have never played NMS and don't indlge in Destiny 2 anymore either. 42 is probably close to the average here I am a bit older in fact I am an OAP.
peace and love
Tel
Geriatric44
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 12:45 pm

Welcome to OAP J :Y:
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 11:56 am

Welcome James. Have you not been tempted by the Elite Dangerous? Having had the time as a teen to play it loads on the Speccie I'm not sure I've got the capacity to commit to this version. These delicate hands weren't made for manual docking!
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 12:06 pm

Ey up dude! Always a pleasure to meet another guardian. No mention of Socom on PS2 though which is intriguing...
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby JFacer » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 7:33 pm

DaddyR - I thought about Elite dangerous and read some reviews that all seemed positive. However I kinda like the memory of my time in the original Elite and have an unreasonable feeling that playing a 're-boot' would somehow spoil those rose tinted memories :)

Roguetrooper - (used to love getting my weekly fix of the 2000AD universe). Not sure I ever played socom. In fact thinking about it the game that sticks in the memory most from my PS2 days was SSX Tricky, some FIFA games and Tiger Woods golf. Was socom an FPS? It took me until the PS3 to start giving that genre a go on a joypad, prior to that I'd only ever done them with keyboard & mouse on PC - the fear of change was real ;)
JFacer
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Fri 05 Jan 2018, 9:13 am

Socom was the catalyst that inspired the creation of OAP (or at least having to play Socom with whiny kids)

Big Tiger Woods fan too (before it went downhill when they removed The Predator and Highlands courses).
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions