Salutations and lubrications.

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Salutations and lubrications.

Postby zb100 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 1:55 pm

Howdy everybody, bumped into quite a few of you already over the years either online via mutual gamer friends and also one or two down at EGX.

Currently hailing y'all from not so sunny Scotland, rubbing me mitts to keep 'em warm and thinking of a nice hot cup o' lemon & ginger...

...laced with whisky and honey of course!

Platform History:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4;
BBC Micro B;
Atari STe 1040;
Amiga 1200;
Various incarnations of PC;
Various Nintendo hand-held dual screen old school thingies;
Sega GameGear;
Sony Playstations 1, 2, 3, 4, PSP & Vita (RIP).

Gaming History:
Traditionally a fan of titles such as ELITE, X-Wing, platformers like Repton and Chuckie Egg plus old school RPG titles including Bloodwych and Eye of the Beholder. These days I prefer anything that doesn't require too many reflexes! Looking at my games recently played apparently this includes Elite Dangerous, Gran Turismo Sport, Star Wars Battlefront II, Watch_dogs 2, Destiny 2, World of Tanks, Observer, Megaton Rainfall & Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

Personal History:
Been programming & creating digital stuff since tender age of 7 or so, experimenting ever since (Atari for music, Amiga for graphics), shame it has little bearing on current employment. I do do various audio-visual things in my spare time, which is becoming ever more endangered, and try to squeeze a bit of gaming in whenever I can. It does generally keep me out of trouble and the pub! Which is a good thing, I think?
zb100
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Re: Salutations and lubrications.

Postby Gazman86 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 2:40 pm

Welcome, nice gaming history you have there. Bumped into you in Battlefront 2 last Saturday I believe.

What drew you to OAPs eventually?
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby tyza1971 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 3:16 pm

zb100 wrote:Howdy everybody, bumped into quite a few of you already over the years either online via mutual gamer friends and also one or two down at EGX.

Currently hailing y'all from not so sunny Scotland, rubbing me mitts to keep 'em warm and thinking of a nice hot cup o' lemon & ginger...

...laced with whisky and honey of course!

Platform History:
BBC Micro B;
Atari STe 1040;
Amiga 1200;
Various incarnations of PC;
Various Nintendo hand-held dual screen old school thingies;
Sega GameGear;
Sony Playstations 1, 2, 3, 4, PSP & Vita (RIP).

Gaming History:
Traditionally a fan of titles such as ELITE, X-Wing, platformers like Repton and Chuckie Egg plus old school RPG titles including Bloodwych and Eye of the Beholder. These days I prefer anything that doesn't require too many reflexes! Looking at my games recently played apparently this includes Elite Dangerous, Gran Turismo Sport, Star Wars Battlefront II, Watch_dogs 2, Destiny 2, World of Tanks, Observer, Megaton Rainfall & Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

Personal History:
Been programming & creating digital stuff since tender age of 7 or so, experimenting ever since (Atari for music, Amiga for graphics), shame it has little bearing on current employment. I do do various audio-visual things in my spare time, which is becoming ever more endangered, and try to squeeze a bit of gaming in whenever I can. It does generally keep me out of trouble and the pub! Which is a good thing, I think?

A few of us have a Sunday night racing session at around 9pm - you're welcome to chuck a friend request and join us - We're pretty civilised (Just watch out for Mane - He likes to race off the racing line... :wink: )
tyza1971
Incontinence Pants Wearer

Awards Cabinet

Postby zb100 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 4:30 pm

Gazman86 wrote:Welcome, nice gaming history you have there. Bumped into you in Battlefront 2 last Saturday I believe.

What drew you to OAPs eventually?
Indeed we did - though I don't think we remotely bumped on the leaderboards, you were dominating the top whereas I was lucky to make it off the baseline! ;)

Figured I may as well sign up given how many OAPs are actually on my friends list already and always looking for other players for the times when I do venture online - given how real life has a pesky habit of throwing up obstacles to regular gaming events, I really must sort my priorities... :rofl:
zb100
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Postby zb100 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 4:32 pm

tyza1971 wrote:A few of us have a Sunday night racing session at around 9pm - you're welcome to chuck a friend request and join us - We're pretty civilised (Just watch out for Mane - He likes to race off the racing line... :wink: )

Thank you, I'll keep my eyes peeled and also pretend not to be an arcade racer on the track! ;)
zb100
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Postby Gazman86 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 4:44 pm

Yeah it is good here for people to game with, as you already know there's usually a Battlefront event on Saturday, Battlefield 1 on Sunday, also GT Sport on Sunday so a bit of a clash unfortunately.

Plenty of people play CoD all week.
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby kaycee2011 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

Welcome zb! Do you believe in CoD??
kaycee2011
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:56 pm

Great intro zb, welcome to the smelly place.
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 11:28 pm

zb100 wrote:Platform History:
BBC Micro B;

Atari STe 1040;
Amiga 1200;

Couple of spoddy computers right there! All pretty high ranged, seems not everyone in scotland is poverty stricken! ;)

zb100 wrote:Personal History:
Been programming & creating digital stuff since tender age of 7 or so, experimenting ever since (Atari for music, Amiga for graphics),

Ah, explains it. I had the Amiga so used samplers/sequencers for my music, rigged up through the mixer connected to my decks. Although this only helped with demos as the studios we recorded in used STFMs and PCs back then (early 90s).

Welcome to the other smelly place, I was wearing my Oor Wullie tshirt yesterday.
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby zb100 » Wed 24 Jan 2018, 11:42 am

kaycee2011 wrote:Welcome zb! Do you believe in CoD??

I believe CoD may exist in some people's consciousness to help quantify a worthwhile and meaningful existence - as long as it helps them through the day, then who am I to judge? ;) And thank you for the welcome!

DaddyR wrote:Great intro zb, welcome to the smelly place.
Luckily I lost my sense of smell several years ago. All the dogs do seem to really like me though, particularly my lap for some reason...

Mulletino wrote:
zb100 wrote:Platform History:
BBC Micro B;

Couple of spoddy computers right there! All pretty high ranged, seems not everyone in scotland is poverty stricken! ;)

I can thank my Dad for that - always one step ahead of the game. Photographer (reconnaissance / forensic), photolithographer, then digital imaging. His arthritis led to the following, as it meant that I ended up typing in all the code from the magazines of the day & learning to touch-type before even knowing it was a thing!

Mulletino wrote:
zb100 wrote:Personal History:
Been programming & creating digital stuff since tender age of 7 or so, experimenting ever since (Atari for music, Amiga for graphics),

Ah, explains it. I had the Amiga so used samplers/sequencers for my music, rigged up through the mixer connected to my decks. Although this only helped with demos as the studios we recorded in used STFMs and PCs back then (early 90s).

Sounds excellent - any of it kicking around online? And funnily enough, an old school pal I used to write music with back in my early to mid-teens emigrated to Brisbane, spook!

Anyhoo - thanks y'all, no doubt catch you on the battlefront / racetrack / wherever soon! :)
zb100
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Postby Geriatric44 » Wed 24 Jan 2018, 7:38 pm

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay here at OAP Towers. Now as one of the younger members let me assure you that CoD WW2 is great and they had seen the error of their ways with Advanced Warfare etc, lots of folk have kept away from Codww2 because the last two were, how can I say this diplomatically, oh! I know they were Shite. Do yourself a favour and give it a try and come and join some of us through the week and particularly on Friday.
Text speak and coarse languge are frowned on here so I might get reprimanded for saying shite but they were shite
peace and love
Tel
P.S. There is a deliberate mistake in this, can anyone spot it. :evil:
Geriatric44
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Neerg » Wed 24 Jan 2018, 10:21 pm

Great intro. Welcome to oaps. Do you still have the ste and Amiga?

Loved both those machines
Neerg
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Thu 25 Jan 2018, 12:39 am

zb100 wrote:
Mulletino wrote:Ah, explains it. I had the Amiga so used samplers/sequencers for my music, rigged up through the mixer connected to my decks. Although this only helped with demos as the studios we recorded in used STFMs and PCs back then (early 90s).

Sounds excellent - any of it kicking around online? And funnily enough, an old school pal I used to write music with back in my early to mid-teens emigrated to Brisbane, spook!

Only one track, which was grabbed off the dat after the first session, nowhere near a final mix.

Whereabouts in Brisbane? It's not that big a place tbh but is awesome. :)
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Thu 25 Jan 2018, 12:59 am

Hi Z, welcome to OAP. I think we've met in game before at some point, good to see you here.
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Thu 25 Jan 2018, 10:48 am

Welcome to OAP dude!

What PSVR games have you got?
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions