Hello All OAPs!

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello All OAPs!

Postby JaffaMark1966 » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 9:03 pm

Hello All

In way of introduction, I’m a 51 year old ‘dyed in the wool’ ex computer programmer who now passes his days trying to design system architectures!

I’ve spent a lifetime playing and writing computer games and now it’s brilliant to find I’m not alone and potentially I can find some online buddies who are past sitting their GCSEs!

I started way back in the early 80s with a Commodore VIC 20 and 3.5k of memory! Additionally, I’ve owned Atari games consoles and all forms of PlayStation including both handhelds. Currently I’ve had a PS4 for just over a year.

Going back to the VIC 20 days, for those that remember the lovely beige wonder machine, the first computer with a dedicated graphics chip (that’s what VIC stands for Video Interface Chip!), I spent many a happy hour battling the Revenge of The Mutant Camels and other great Llamasoft titles amongst others! Additionally, I created a ViC 20 version of the Commodore 64 game Plumb Crazy for Terminal Software based in Manchester.

Moving on, over the last 35 years since then (god that long!) I have always enjoyed the geeky(according to my wife!!) world of computer games however only recently playing online versions. In the past I’ve happily played the story mode of multiple Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solids, Killzone, Far Cry, etc. I’ve always preferred the TPS type games and have currently spent the last few months when I can play working my way through The Division which I think is a great game. It’s my first foray into the world of co-op online games and I really enjoy solo roaming and team play.

What I’d love to have is a few good friends that I can run with who remember Wham holidaying in Club Tropicana and when your home phone had a rotary dial!

Anyway, that’s loads more than 150 words, however feel free to ask any other questions!

Cheers

Mark
JaffaMark1966
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Re: Hello All OAPs!

Postby Saltyballz81 » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 10:15 pm

Hello and welcome Mark. Fantastic intro!

I think there are a few OAPs who have done some form of coding on games, also no mention of a Speccy? 48k was my introduction to gaming. I suspect you'll fit right in here. :Y:

How did you find out about us? Is our PR department doing their job? Or did you find one of our cards in a Sheffield chippy? :lol:

Welcome aboard mate, it's a great place with great people. :beer:
Saltyballz81

Awards Cabinet

Postby kaycee2011 » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 11:52 pm

markj1966 wrote:
What I’d love to have is a few good friends that I can run with who remember Wham holidaying in Club Tropicana and when your home phone had a rotary dial!

Well you've got my vote. :grin:
Welcome Mark! Great intro, & ditto Salty, how did you discover us?
kaycee2011
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Mulletino » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 1:04 am

Welcome, nice intro!

My only dabble with programming was typing in the listings and the odd obligatory rude message in basic in Dixons on their Dragon 32s, Apricots etc.

Jeff Minter released a new game not long ago called Polybius based on the old mythical game of the same name, you tried it?
Mulletino
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Gazman86 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 7:06 am

Great intro and welcome to OAPs, have you played Far Cry 5 yet?
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby JaffaMark1966 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 8:12 am

Hello all and thanks for the welcome messages!

I’ll answer all of your questions, in no particular order!

In the search for some decent (in ability and personality terms!) players for my The Division playing times I registered on the PlayStation app, joined a couple of communities and put out feelers for ‘friends’. What I received in return was positive but usually minimal response wording and (oh my god) the grammar and txt spk was everywhere. One potential ‘friend’ even accused me of being a bot because I used proper sentences!!

In desperation I Googled (funny how that is now a verb!) something like ‘PlayStation gamers over 40’ and one of the links was to a PlayStation forum comment and responses about this subject, and one of the responses had the url for the forum...and hence why I’m here!

I never owned any of the Spectrum models. I used to work at the age of 16 in WHSmith in Tunbridge Wells and we sold all of them over the time I was there - ZX80, ZX81 and 48 and I’m afraid I saw too many returned as faulty to want one myself...is that tantamount to ‘insider knowlegde’?! Hence my decision to buy a VIC 20.

10 PRINT “HELLO MUM”...my first ever program! It worked, she stumped up for the tape recorder I needed to be able to save my programs!!

I’ve not played Polybius yet, in fact I wasn’t aware that Jeff and Llamasoft were still creating, it’s great to see you can’t keep an old programmer down!!

Far Cry 5 - not yet, I can’t bring myself to pay more than £20 for any game so all new releases are not so new once I find them in the preowned aisle in my local Game!!!

Cheers

Mark
JaffaMark1966
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby zb100 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 9:18 am

Welcome Mark and yes, do try Polybius - preferably in VR!
zb100
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Postby Neerg » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 11:25 am

Hi Mark, welcome to OAPs. Ahh the Vic 20. I never had one, but my friend did and we spent many an hour on it. Along with the dragon 32 and the speccy of course. Did play around with the zx81,but never got my hands on a zx80

Hehe wh smith,the place I got my speccy from as it happens, they were the place to go back then. Good times

Oh, you forgot
20 GOTO 10
:)
Neerg
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 12:10 pm

markj1966 wrote:Club Tropicana

Can't say I was ever a Wham fan, but it reminded me of this which is obviously not just the greatest song of 83, but one of the greatest songs ever. Scratching, Synths, BMX... it's got it all!! :Y:

Nice to meet you dude, feel free to sling me a FR :)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby JaffaMark1966 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 1:13 pm

Will do roguetrooper...what’s your PlayStation I’d, is it roguetrooper?
JaffaMark1966
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby JaffaMark1966 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 1:13 pm

Id !!!
JaffaMark1966
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Geriatric44 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 1:58 pm

Hello Mark and welcome. Ah! the vic 20 I remember it well trouble is I was already an old bugger when it came out.
Great intro, do try and visit us on the codww2 multiplayer its all good fun.
peace and love
Tel
Geriatric44
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 2:04 pm

Hi Mark, welcome to OAP.
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby ManicMyna » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 6:00 pm

roguetrooper wrote:
markj1966 wrote:Club Tropicana

Can't say I was ever a Wham fan, but it reminded me of this

now that wouldn't be because of the dodgy andrew ridgeley style bass & keytar playing on display there :lol:
not seeing any other similarities barring the 80s outfits
ManicMyna

Awards Cabinet

Postby JaffaMark1966 » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 7:48 pm

Yikes...it’s happened. Before I found you OAPers I was innocent and naive and as a consequence registered on a PlayStation forum and some people sent me friend requests (as I mentioned earlier). This evening I had 45mins so booted up The Division and logged in, and one of those new ‘friends’ was playing, saw me and grouped up...oh boy, he wanted to play but then proceeded to play with his baby (I have nothing against children at all!) and then he answered his phone!

I now realise that I really enjoy my own company in the game when I want to and to share the experience when I want to...is that selfish...hopefully not?! How do I unfriend him without causing issues?! Help! :?
JaffaMark1966
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions