Hi from Ancient Jake

New to the Forums? Please feel free to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....we don't bite (unless you want us to). Please read the "How to become an OAP" announcement before applying for membership. Open to all but must be registered to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi from Ancient Jake

Postby Ancient_Jake » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:29 pm

Just a minute whilst I find my glasses,

Bought my first gaming beast in 1984, an Atari 600! It was January. I remember the date because I treated myself celebrating the birth of my son. Mrs AJ wasn’t particularly pleased!
The Amiga 500 was next, anything from the BItmap Brothers, God’s, Magic Pockets, Chaos Engines etc.
Mostly played PC FPS games or Empire building games after that. Never really did multiplayer on PC until Unreal Tournament and Quake. Lots of fun playing UT especially with a guy in New Zealand over a 56k modem! Those whinging about lag today don’t know they are born. :D
Bought my son a PS2 *cough cough. . Enjoyed the original Doom on that.
Used XBOX, 360, and One and PS3 and currently PS4.
Destiny 1 got me seriously in to playing more often. I play Far Cry 5, and mainly play Destiny 2 at the moment.
I generally play PVE and do OK at that. I don’t usually do PVP because I’ve got the reactions of a dead cat by comparison to the youngsters. I am quite happy to join people in the Crucible, I don’t mind dying on a regular basis but I don’t want to let a competitive team down. I’m using all three characters and have got them up to 360.
I’m hoping I can find people here who will have a go at anything without worrying about getting killed!
I’ve rambled on a bit we OAPS do. Thanks for letting me through the door.
Ancient_Jake
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Re: Hi from Ancient Jake

Postby ManicMyna » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 9:16 pm

Ancient_Jake wrote:anything from the BItmap Brothers
producers of games with some sweet music - really nice with the Amiga hooked up to a good sound system
ManicMyna

Awards Cabinet

Postby Ancient_Jake » Mon 23 Jul 2018, 9:26 pm

True. Ahead of its time sound wise. Can never understand why Commodore never realised what a good piece of kit it was for it’s day.
Ancient_Jake
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Bondalike » Tue 24 Jul 2018, 10:58 am

Hello AJ, welcome to OAP towers.
Bondalike
Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Boba UK » Tue 24 Jul 2018, 12:40 pm

Ancient_Jake wrote:True. Ahead of its time sound wise. Can never understand why Commodore never realised what a good piece of kit it was for it’s day.

The Amiga was amazing. I had a 500 which I gradually upgraded over time with hard drive (40MB!!! Massive!), 2nd floppy drive, printer etc. It was a shame it got killed by piracy in the end. I always thought the C64 also had great sound for it's time and Rob Hubbard was a bit of a genius.

Hello Jake and welcome. I've not been playing too much online recently. Dabbled a bit in the latest Battlefield and Destiny 2 (PvE) but have mostly been playing offline. Currently replaying the amazing Horizon Zero Dawn on New Game +. It still takes my breath away sometimes graphically and I'm not on a PS4 Pro. If the SOCOM-a-like H-Hour ever makes it to PS4 I'm sure I'll be online again. In the dead zone.
Boba UK
Champion Werthers Sucker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Ancient_Jake » Tue 24 Jul 2018, 1:05 pm

Horizon Zero Dawn is another favourite. Haven’t replayed it since the first add-on. May be getting a re-visit soon. I also played No Man’s Sky quite a bit but I found the glitches frustrating. Think it’s been upgraded and fixed a few times. That’s another one I’ll have to re-visit. However school holidays and young grand kids somewhat limit my playing time.
Ancient_Jake
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Geriatric44 » Tue 24 Jul 2018, 9:21 pm

Hi AJ
Welcome and enjoy your stay here, lot of us having fun at present on H1Z1, personally I'm waiting patiently for BF5 and The Last of us 2.
Hope to see you around in the servers but I'm not a Destiny player.
I also had an Amiga 500 and also the monitor to match cost me about a grand all in back in the early eighties that was some dough then lol.
peace and love
Tel
Geriatric44
Jumble Sale Champ

Awards Cabinet

Postby zb100 » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm

Greetings oh ancient one!
Catch you on destiny, no doubt.
zb100
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Postby DaddyR » Thu 26 Jul 2018, 8:45 pm

AJ, you are truly old if you had an Amiga. I was never that practical, consoles all the way for me. I'm in the early stages of Horizon and loving it, although I spend most of my time hunting little critters and looting corpses. What does that say about me?
DaddyR
Retired Elder & OAPodcaster

Awards Cabinet

Postby roguetrooper » Fri 27 Jul 2018, 8:36 pm

Great to meet you today dude. Nice to have another northerner in the clan to help with all these Southern shandy drinking types ;)
roguetrooper
Retired Elder

Awards Cabinet

Postby Ancient_Jake » Sat 28 Jul 2018, 6:22 am

Thanks very much. I got some good kit by the end of the night. As for Southern Shandy drinkers, i’m an honorary one. I worked and lived in Greater London for about 25 years and both my children were born there :-)
Ancient_Jake
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby solo-nite » Sun 29 Jul 2018, 12:25 am

Welcome AJ, I didn't have amiga but my friend had one (I couldn't afford it back then) I had the Commodore 64 before amiga was out then I went to consoles on super nintendo. Had the SNES for about 5 years before getting PlayStation at launch and I never looked back. I have had all the PlayStation systems.

Was a big Destiny fan but have been let down by Activision so I have abandoned ship to warframe.

I play tons of gametypes

(H1z1, fortnite, star wars battlefront 2, no man's sky and a whole list of other games)

Feel free to give me a shout if you want to team up (yes I am average Joe and die a lot in pvp too lol)
solo-nite
Meals on Wheels Eater

Awards Cabinet

Postby Ancient_Jake » Mon 30 Jul 2018, 11:49 am

Thanks for all the greetings. Already done some Destiny 2 with some of you. Good fun and some laughs.
Ancient_Jake
Biscuit Dunker

Awards Cabinet

Postby Gazman86 » Sat 04 Aug 2018, 10:47 pm

Hi Jake, great I intro and welcome to oaps. If you play any battlefield, H1Z1, rocket league or rainbow six siege then drop me a friend request.
Gazman86

Awards Cabinet

Postby zb100 » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 8:50 am

Nice to get a quick game in yesterday with AJ.
Hopefully be around and a bit more on it later on the week. :)
zb100
Green House Attendant

Awards Cabinet

Next

Return to Introductions